Author Topic: The part you dislike the most!  (Read 6608 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
The part you dislike the most!
« on: March 31, 2014, 08:02:17 pm »
Ok so I have a question. I have read a lot on here about everything from splitting a stave to final tiller and the finished bow. I have read that certain parts of bow making is your favorite part. My question is, What is the part or process that you dread doing the most while in the building process? What is the most likely part in the process that you will stop and come back to later?

I find myself dreading the initial removal of the belly area after the roughing out of the shape, the part where I get it to floor tiller, myself.  Especially on a static tip bow where your only bending part of the limb. I guess it's because in makes me nervous about messing it up. I'm still pretty new to this.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Badger

Re: The part you dislike the most!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:11:41 pm »
   I enjoy the whole process until I get to the finish, once I shoot the bow in I tend to loose interest in it. Removing the belly wood is one of my favotite most relaxing aspects to the job.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:34:20 pm »
I would agree with Badger - Once I start shooting it I get interested in the next one.  I have several that are ready for "finish" that are hanging on the wall...waiting!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 08:39:59 pm »
The hardest part? Giving them up! :(

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 08:46:33 pm »
Sanding and tip overlays ,also removing the cabruim on a seasoned hhb stave! Oh yay getting set in the wrong places!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 08:51:50 pm »
Well I like removing belly wood once I get to floor tiller but I guess it wouldn't be so bad if the first one I tried to make was Osage and the next was a 2.5" wide limb molly.  That and I didn't know how to use a rasp.

I actually really like the finishing process because I just love how beautiful wood is when it's stained or cleared. Its like I get to show everyone the natural beauty of the wood in my own mind.

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 08:53:09 pm »
I love chasing the grain on osage, dunno why but I do... Hate finish work. Handles wraps! Man I suck.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 08:54:17 pm »
Finishing work is my least favorite part.  I intend to do better on that.  A good bow probably deserves to look it's best, but I have to make myself do the finishing work.  Once they are shot in,  I am looking on to the next one. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 08:56:09 pm »
I really, really dislike the initial floor tiller stage. The part where there is not though wood to risk using more aggressive tools than a rasp, but so much wood that it seems like it will never start bending.

Patrick

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 09:20:15 pm »
Definitely finishing, you gotta wait on the stuff to dry before you can shoot it more!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 09:22:26 pm »
Caused by my ignorance and impatience of course. Can you see the twist of the string?

Really though,
Trying to sneak in time from the wife and kids and then getting in a hurry and screwing up hours of work...  :-[ :-[ >:( >:(

I have grown to like tillering a lot more now that I have done a few with an actual scraper  ;D  I used rasp, files, and sand paper on the first 10 or so and didn't know haw great a scraper is. Don't much like saw dust boogers. Love most of it though.
Doobs

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 10:00:21 pm »
I hate chasing a ring on thin-ringed wood. There is no way to make it go faster or be more certain. Just have to stare at the wood and figure out what is early wood and what is late. When it's hard to tell, I hate it even more.

I've made a lot of bows, but I'd rather be shooting.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 10:28:06 pm »
Ouch DuBois, that looks painful! I guess another thing I don't like is how sore I am after about 6 hour's, on my shaving horse. I tend to slump over to see what I'm doing better. Then I will pay for it with a sore back for a week. Luckily I have a lot of free time to work on a bow.

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 10:47:25 pm »
Cutting bow wood, splitting and waiting on it to season. I enjoy everything else. It surprises me that some guys don't like finish work, to me that's the best part of bow building.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 10:54:09 pm »
I know tallpine, it's kinda like show off time. I made a bow and it shoots good, but look at its beautifully shiny curves. It's time un show off all of that fine file and rasp and sanding work. With some beautiful finish.