Author Topic: Boo bow for dad  (Read 4064 times)

Far East Archer

Boo bow for dad
« on: December 26, 2007, 11:40:21 am »
Hi all!
This was a bow I made for my dad so he could shoot with us now that he got hooked. ;D I'd like to thank Pat O'Sullivan (hope I spelled that right) for all the tips he gave me on bamboo bows. Thanks! The bow is of 2 lams, back and belly, and has a wood handle made from osage, rosewood, and ash. Tips are also rosewood. The handle has red wraps made of nylon string and epoxy because of some problems splits in the boo. The shelf has cow hide strike plate and kangaroo fur on the shelf top. Bow is about 61" long and pulls 20#@28". (had slight problems in tillering because of fade problems. Over all I think the bow came out quite nice. It is extremely smooth and as I said on PP it feel like a hornbow when drawn. Shoots very fast and has a lot more power than I thought a 20# bow could produce.

Enjoy! ;D Happy Holidays!!! :)

-Alex

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Boo bow for dad
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 11:56:29 am »
Nice job bud.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 11:58:18 am by leapingbare »
Mililani Hawaii

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 12:11:10 pm »
Very nice. Boo backed Boo has got to be a winner. Nice full draw and so you're bookmarked for Dec Backed Bow of the Month.  Thanks for the post.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 12:48:42 pm »
Nice bow and a grand gesture, I bet your dad loves it.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 12:48:57 pm »
Very nice.  Must have been challenging to make the riser fade into the two boo pieces.  How did you work the ends of the riser to get a knife-edge?  I bet that is one present that will be greatly appreciated.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 05:11:32 pm »
You did a great job. I am sure your dad will treasure this gift for many years. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Glenn R.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 05:12:31 pm »
Very nice bow, I know your dad loves it! I made my Dad a bow last year for his 66th birthday---I'm sure all fathers feel the same, I know I do. Better than any gift you could have purchased for any amount $.

jamie

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 05:14:08 pm »
great looking bow there

Far East Archer

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 01:36:55 am »
Thanks guys for the nice comments! I'll be making more of these in the future so I hope to keep you guys entertained. ;D

leapingbare,

Thanks man!

OldBow,

Yay! Thanks for sticking me in there!

DanaM,

Thanks! Yeah, he loved is a lot. The minute he opened it he called from work and said we need to go shooting! haha

tom sawyer,

Yes, the riser was a devil to get right, mostly because I made it too short, 12", and so I had a limited amount to use for the fades. Next bow will have much longer fades and lower handle to make a better transition between the two. I used lots of sand paper and scraping to get the fades the way they are, not very fun when the woods are of different hardnesses, especially when one (ash) sands down faster than the other.

Justin Snyder,

Thanks Justin! Yeah I'm sure he will use it for a while until he wants an upgrade LOL then he might hang it up in memory of me when I'm gone I guess.

Glenn R.,

Yeah, I had no idea what to get him for a present and had no money either haha so I thought making him something would be more appreciated than something I bought. Thanks!

jamie,

Thanks a lot!

Happy Holidays Everybody!!

-Alex

a finnish native

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 03:50:43 pm »
nice job on that man! 8)

Offline mamba

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 11:08:45 am »
Love the wood combos Alex.I've never worked with boo yet,I can imagine the difficulty .Great looking bow on a tough project.
Ray/NY