Author Topic: Is this correct in terms of chasing a ring.  (Read 2047 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Is this correct in terms of chasing a ring.
« on: March 31, 2014, 03:48:53 pm »
From this picture I can see two types of rings; light coloured thin rings and darker thick rings. I understand If I were to chase one then the very edge of one of the rings is to be the back of the bow. I'd be grateful if someone could take this picture and draw line where the back of the bow should be. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/11/article-2171973-1404C92D000005DC-866_634x425.jpg

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
Re: Is this correct in terms of chasing a ring.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 04:02:28 pm »
You want the darker wood as your outer ring. When you get to it, stop removing wood.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 04:03:21 pm »
white bad(early growth) dark thick ring is good(late growth ring)

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 04:06:40 pm »
So the back of the bow will need to be the very edge of one of the dark rings, or the whole ring itself?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 04:25:04 pm »
full thickness of the ring all the way down the back.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 05:03:37 pm »
Is that pic pine? Not a good bow wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 05:05:03 pm »
It's something I pulled of the internet as an example. So if I was using that wood I'd use the thicker growth rings; and the back would be the very edge of the ring?

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 05:07:17 pm »
The red is where your bow would be, if this was a hardwood like locust, osage, or mulberry.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 05:48:37 pm »
The back would be the outermost part of the ring.  You will even have a little early growth residue left to sand off if you do it right.
Some folks hate chasing rings on Osage.  I enjoy it.  There is a feel that you develop for doing it right, and neither I nor anyone else can adequately explain it.  You just have to know what your looking for and dig into them.  After some time you can peel one pretty quickly.  Sight is important but feel is critical as well.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:55:51 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 05:56:22 pm »
From I see the growth rings are round, so if I wanted to make a flat bow I would violate the ring? It seems as if all bows would need a rounded belly if non backing

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 06:00:54 pm »
The back will be rounded some, the belly flat.  In tacticalFates pic above, the bows back (center) is the 12 o'clock position of the red area.  The belly runs horizontal from 3 to 9 0'clock.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 06:03:24 pm »
So you can never cut into the ring. I think I understand it now. If I did slightly cut through the ring, even a tad, would it not still be the same ring. Looks kind of thick.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 06:03:49 pm »
A flatbow does not necessarily have a flat back. The name is derived from the flat(tish) cross section, as opposed to a round cross section (=longbow).

Any bow that is made from a (split) stave, will have a round ('crowned') back. The diameter of the tree determines the degree of curvature on the back. A very small diameter tree will have a high crown, and would not make a flatbow if the back was left round. However, it is possible to flatten the crowned back of a tree stave. That would be called a 'decrowned' stave. Decrowning is much like ring chasing, except you don't follow one ring across the width of the bow, but you follow a few, so the back will become flat. A board is always sawn flat. So a board bow will by default have a flat back (but it can still make a longbow).

Buy or borrow the book The Traditional Bowyer's Bilble Vol. 1. It will make everything crystal clear to you. Much more so than we can explain in a few replies here.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 06:06:58 pm »
Yes, it will be the same ring, and a thick ring is easier to chase because of that.  Still, the outermost part is the strongest part so don't cut into it.  Go slow and be cautious as you near the rings boundary.

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 06:14:23 pm »
Note that many trees are not actually round but oval or even flattened on one side. The pic above could have flatter backed staves by choosing the right or left side.