Author Topic: First firing in new pottery kiln: Udus and ocarinas, of course  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Jodocus

Hi all
I havn't been posting any bows lately, sorry. two reasons: First, I got another wave of heavy flint knapping fever. For about a month, I just could not put down the bloody rocks long enough to even repair my pressure flaker. Only other thing besides knapping I did was to hunt for more flint. My skills have advanced a step, but still... :P But addictive. I've seen people play flappy bird, must be very similar.

Then, I got the pottery thing. I built me a new kiln, since the one I had was too small to burn my udu drums without getting them dangerously close to the fire and the wet ground. The kiln was built from mud and grass, reinforced with chicken wire. For the chimney, I used about 12 feet of tin pipe from a downspout. It worked out quite well. The lid cracked when taking it off, I guess I'll have to make it in two or three separate parts to reduce the strain when lifting it.

The udus and ocarinas are from natural clay or bought white pottery clay. The natural clay is used as it came from the ground in the spiked udu and the tan ocarinas, and tempered with horse manure for the rest of the stuff. The manure makes for a very workable clay, no cracking and very light pieces in the end, but it slightly muffles the sound of udus. I might try coating the inside with slip or avoid organic temper for my future udus. I will also try to improve my surfaces, probably have to wedge my clay better, cause may of the uneven spots show up during the drying.

Apart from that, I'm quite satisfied with this first firing. Took seven hours and about 70 pounds of wood to get everything glowing in a tangerine orange ;D

Don't shoot!

Offline Jodocus

Re: First firing in new pottery kiln: Udus and ocarinas, of course
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 07:39:11 am »
Don't shoot!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:24:14 am »

Pretty darn slick! :o 8)
     Your new kiln, sorta looks like the clay stove/oven, in Mother Earth, years ago ;).  Nice stuff! 8) 8)

Wayne

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 09:55:06 am »
Very, very cool. Nice work and your wares are sweet.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BryanR

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 12:52:07 pm »
Love the oven and the artwork!

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 03:04:56 pm »
Nice kiln and pottery. Just picked up a book on open pit firing of pottery. May take a look at building a kiln now..Thanks for Posting pictures
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:27:25 am »
Wow thanks for sharing!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:04:36 am »
Dang nice.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:06:59 am »
Very cool stuff. Love the oven. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 10:40:16 pm »
Great Work Jodocus! All looks real slick. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 05:44:07 am »
Thanks guys! I just wanted to slip in a big thank you to richardzane for his helpful advice, I really profited from that, especially the idea of a detachable lid that's formed over a mound of earth!
Don't shoot!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 08:10:11 am »
Those are some fine looking pieces Jodocus, very nice work. If I needed another hobby I think pottery is something I would enjoy.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.