Author Topic: Oak self bow  (Read 1244 times)

Offline budgolf

• Take me to the woods!
Oak self bow
« on: March 29, 2014, 05:25:29 pm »
Self bows are the best. While I don't like how this one has turned out, it's pretty, and so much more fun to make than the glued up riser and backing stuff. I haven't made a string for it yet because I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with it. The bottom limb is bending a lot more than the top. A lot. Which I don't understand why. I used a gizmo and I think the tiller looks pretty good. But it draws at less than 30 @ 28 and looks bad at full draw. Oh well like I said, it's pretty.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: Oak self bow
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 05:58:48 pm »
the bend doesnt look too bad to me and it hasnt taken much set so overall its looking good
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 06:26:25 pm »
grats on the finished bow!  Tiller isn't that bad and will be better on your next I'm sure.  I typically don't carve string groves on the back unless using overlays.  thanks for sharing!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline budgolf

• Take me to the woods!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:58:35 pm »
Thanks guys. Those string groves on the back were unintentional actually. The result of working, being in the zone I guess and just following the pencil like I had laid out. I may end up shortening the bow so they may go away.