Author Topic: Vine Maple Flatbow  (Read 19845 times)

Offline Sasquatch

Re: Vine Maple Flatbow
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2014, 05:21:39 pm »
Very nice I love the colors :) great bend also

Offline Shamusrobert

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2014, 06:02:12 pm »
Sweet bow, beautiful dye job.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2014, 01:02:53 am »
Really cool looking bow Chris. Love your style man.BTW I am adopting your skinny tips. It really works in increasing cast. Thanks for the inspiration.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Josh B

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2014, 01:08:15 am »
Wow! That really came out nice!  The dye and finish work are outstanding!  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2014, 07:48:05 am »
Thanks friends :)

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2014, 06:28:35 pm »
Gorgeous, what a beauty

Offline dwardo

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2014, 06:11:21 am »
Can you explain a little how you applied the two tone stain?
Thanks in advance.

blackhawk

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2014, 07:38:57 am »
Thanks in advance.

I First dyed the whole bow the red base color...then let that dry(don't take long)...then apply the darker dye over the top of the red at the tips and handle...this helps create a nice transition effect as you can still see a subtle underlying undertone of the red underneath the darker color...I then drag and wipe some of the dark color out into the red...I apply it with paper towels and sometimes that's enough to get the transition if there isn't much dye left coming off the paper towel...sometimes you might have to use some steel wool very lightly to help create a nice transition from the darker to lighter color...get a scrap piece first and do some tests and trials to see what works best for you,and not potentially making a bow look like a two colored turd...lol. its pretty simple really,especially if you've already worked with dyes previously(which I know you have) ....hope that makes sense...if not don't be afraid to ask for more clarification on anything I said ;)

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2014, 08:59:43 am »
Did you use leather dye or rit dye?
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2014, 09:19:43 am »
Thanks in advance.

I First dyed the whole bow the red base color...then let that dry(don't take long)...then apply the darker dye over the top of the red at the tips and handle...this helps create a nice transition effect as you can still see a subtle underlying undertone of the red underneath the darker color...I then drag and wipe some of the dark color out into the red...I apply it with paper towels and sometimes that's enough to get the transition if there isn't much dye left coming off the paper towel...sometimes you might have to use some steel wool very lightly to help create a nice transition from the darker to lighter color...get a scrap piece first and do some tests and trials to see what works best for you,and not potentially making a bow look like a two colored turd...lol. its pretty simple really,especially if you've already worked with dyes previously(which I know you have) ....hope that makes sense...if not don't be afraid to ask for more clarification on anything I said ;)

Big help mate thanks. I have tried the transition gig once and it failed miserably. Had to dye the bow one colour again. didnt think about the full coat of base colour first mind. Defo going to practice on some scrap.

blackhawk

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2014, 10:20:59 am »
Did you use leather dye or rit dye?

Neither....I use some stuff called transtint ...I got it at a local woodworkers supply store a few years ago...

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2014, 03:54:07 pm »
Congrats on the win brother!  That is one beautiful bow!  I got to see that on in person sometime.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2014, 08:22:33 pm »
What's the width of this baby?
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2014, 09:15:59 pm »
Yes Sir,

She's a Beauty for Sure...

Thank You for sharing your Dying Process.
I've just started tinkering with Leather Dyes and wood.
I'll have to look into Transtint...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Tillstave

« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2015, 09:32:00 pm »
Just cut some vine maple myself. Going out again to get some more this weekend. Hope they turn out some good staves.

Nice bow. Very well done.