Author Topic: Snake skins  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Mad Max

Snake skins
« on: March 28, 2014, 09:42:38 am »
Snake skins will stick to sanded shellac, and then you don't have to
 worry about moisture it the wood ??????:-\
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Snake skins
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:21:45 am »
A layer of Tite bond 3 works better. I size the back of every skinned bow I build. Wipe a thin layer on and let it cure over night. Come back the next day and put a layer on the skin and a layer on the bow and apply the skins.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 10:57:52 am »
Why do you size the back before applying the skins Pearls? I just put a thin layer on the bow's back and a thin layer on the skin and stick 'er down.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 11:05:38 am »
Because it keeps the water in the skins from absorbing into the wood. This way the moisture is forced to evaporate off the top of the skins.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 11:34:26 am »
I do the same as Pearlie. A few years ago I backed an osage bow with snake skins. I gave it 2 days to dry then took it out and shot it. It was a noodle pulling only 45# instead of the 56# before skinning. I gave it another week to cure and it was back to 56#@26" where it should have been. Ever since then I've sized the back with a thin coat of TBIII and never had the problem again.
 Max, I don't know if shellac has enough waterproofing properties to seal the bow from the moisture in the skin and glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 02:32:24 pm »
I size the back before applying skins as well, but out here I don't have to wait but about a half hour and it's dry
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 02:52:37 pm »
I use TB2 it dries clear not dark like TB3. I have no problem with it.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 02:55:30 pm »
Because it keeps the water in the skins from absorbing into the wood. This way the moisture is forced to evaporate off the top of the skins.

Ah... OK. I don't wet my skins to put them on. They're paper thin, and I just put a thin layer of TB glue on them and the bow's back, and lay them down. I never saw the point to wetting them.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 02:58:21 pm »
By soaking them I believe it keeps the glue between the bow and the skin, not soaked up into the dry skin. I don't use much glue as a result.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 03:07:16 pm »
Me neither... just a super thin layer on the back of the bow, and the same as the skin itself. I've never had a problem with moisture. I let them harden for a couple days, and then multi coats of polyurethane.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 04:03:57 pm »
A layer of Tite bond 3 works better. I size the back of every skinned bow I build. Wipe a thin layer on and let it cure over night. Come back the next day and put a layer on the skin and a layer on the bow and apply the skins.
I heat treated the bow, (Marc St Louis way) then I sealed it with Shellac, I tillered the bow, I sanded the back lightly,now I am ready for the skins.
The moisture is not really going to come from the TB3 ? but from the wet skins ? Right?
So sizeing with TB3 is the way to go?
Thanks Pearl
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 04:05:05 pm »
Don't wet the skins.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 04:10:17 pm »
the main reason I wet the skins is it makes them more plyable , but I don't buy skins I procure them
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 04:33:31 pm »
the main reason I wet the skins is it makes them more plyable , but I don't buy skins I procure them
The one's I have where stretched and pin down with tacks so they are scalloped edge looking.
soaking in water will make them more pliable and come back to shape 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 05:08:47 pm by Mad Max »

Offline 4dog

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 05:01:26 pm »
if the bow is properly sized whats the harm in wetting the skins...they just form to the bow easier..wet em dont wet em ...yall are confusing the man...if ua wet em wait longer for the skins to dry..lol
"SET" is always there !!!