Author Topic: Tite-bond or Hide glue?  (Read 4256 times)

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
Tite-bond or Hide glue?
« on: March 27, 2014, 05:04:41 pm »
I have an Osage recurve in the works that I am going to sinew. I spent the last few days searching old posts and there seems to be a lot of different opinions on using Tite-bond and sinew. I would like to get some fresh input before I decide which way to go.  Any and all help appreciated.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Tite-bond or Hide glue?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 05:14:09 pm »
I only use hide glue for sinew backing. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 05:51:25 pm »
Most and I have use hide and if you do use hide glue, make sure you degrease the osage really well.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:03:07 pm »
knox knox knox

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 06:06:59 pm »
Nothing fresh my friend, same battle wages. They both work, but one is better than the other.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 06:09:26 pm »
this topic comes up atlease once a month lol maybe we should just sticky it to the top lol

Offline 4dog

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 06:16:44 pm »
sticky it as in...with hide glue.... hee hee! see what i did there.   >:D
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 06:18:40 pm »
corny man corny lol

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 06:30:45 pm »
I prefer to use hide glue for sinew backings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 06:35:29 pm »
I have seen this one get nasty!  >:D  I prefer hide glue.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 10:18:15 pm »
I use super glue.   :)

Patrick

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 10:40:26 pm »
I don't know a lot about it, but I used tb2 on my first sinew job that I done just 2 week's ago. I personally was pleased with the results after the glue all dried. But it was difficult in my opinion to apply because the glue was thick and hard to tell where you are at during the application. That being said I would have loved to use hide glue, I have never had any experience with hide glue. So I was pretty hesitant to mix up some Knox hide glue, and just start the application. Since then I have made 4 batches of it and finally figured it out and will be using it on my next sinew job.

If you want some recent info there was a pretty good conversation on my thread when I applied sinew with tb2. Its only just under 2 week's old. Here is the link.
 http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,45674.0.html
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 10:54:40 pm »
Yeah, it is harder with tb as it's thick and sticky. Maybe if you watered it down it would help? I tried sinewing with tb3 once, and will never try again. It dried on the outside but the sinew never dried on the inside. It was still squishy after a month. I will never do that again. It was not near as snappy as a sinew bow normally is, and took a lot of set. I just sinewed a bow a couple days ago with some hide glue I got from woodcraft. So far I am very pleased, looks and smells like the hide glue I used to make from sinew scraps. I almost got some that was labeled "industrial hide glue", but than I read all the warnings about ventilation and how not to come into contact with skin, etc. I found some other stuff though that was more expensive, but seemed to be just good old hide glue. It was much easier to make then cooking your own too, took an hour or so and it was ready to go.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 11:16:51 pm »
Yeah the Knox gelatin glue don't take too long. It takes longer to get the water temp right than anything. I glued two pieces of Osage together that was about 6in long and after it set up over night I couldn't break them apart. Even beating them on the work bench. I did finally break them with a hammer while it was propped up on two boards. The glue held and I actually ripped the wood.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 11:40:15 pm »
Thanks for the link lebhuntfish, don't know how I missed that thread. I'm going with the tried and true hide glue, I've used it before, just always looking to try something new. Thanks for all the replies guys