Author Topic: Maple Board Bow  (Read 9308 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: Maple Board Bow
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 03:58:02 pm »
Thanks guys!! I hope i can come thru on the leather handle.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 10:30:30 pm »
Well id like to say that you were all right.  When she went she went with a bang.  I honestly think the bow was pushing 80#.  It shot very well while is lasted.  I think my fades were a bit stiff along with a possible grain runout.  Another lesson learned.  Diagnosis welcome  :)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 11:03:32 pm »
I hate that.   :(  What was the draw length when she broke?  That bow was working hard.  I just don't think it could handle that kind of weight without longer wider limbs.  I bet it was a screamer while it lasted!   :)  Build you another one.   You are bit by the bow building bug now. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 12:02:07 am »
Was looking awesome! I have a question. Was that board kiln dried?  I don't know a thing but wouldn't it be hard on it to heat treat it? I would think it would weaken the wood by removing too much moisture. But like I said I know nothing about it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:41:48 am by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bubby

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 12:32:00 am »
Baby go boom, to bad, just a sign to build another ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline dwardo

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 05:28:01 am »
That's a shame. Lovely looking now that. Like others have said just pushing it a bit but I know nawt about boards.
If you ain't breaking the odd bow you are not trying hard enough  >:D

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 08:27:24 am »
Man, thats too bad. While I was reading the post and going thru the progression, I was thinking that it was too high a weight for those dimension on that kind of wood. You had it looking and I'm sure shooting good while it lasted. I'm guessing that the heat treat overdried it some as well. As Jawge likes to say, "if you aint breakin you aint makin". Time to try a hickory board, it may be a bit more forgiving.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline bushboy

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 09:13:55 pm »
Bummer bro!lately I have been really rounding the backs edges(trapping)and leaving the belly edges more proudly .this may have helped?I also believe that rawhide offers little protection in diffuse porous which tend to explode rather than lift splinters like ring porous woods.your tiller looked good which leads me to think that 80# plus was to much for the design?may 2"fades would have held but that's still a lot to ask from a self board imho!
Will be watching for your next one now that you got the bug!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.