Author Topic: Nutria Quiver  (Read 6695 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Nutria Quiver
« on: March 14, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »
Zuma gave me a case skinned nutria pelt.  I was instructed to make a quiver out of it so I did.  The strap is braided hemp cord attached from the tail and threaded through the ear holes.  This thing could hold enough arrows for a full fledged primitive war!  For the pictures I threw in most of my arrows.  I really like how it sits on my back and it grabs the arrows when I duck under stuff and lean.

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline stickbender

Re: Nutria Quiver
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 08:55:09 pm »

Nice, but the only thing I would suggest, is to turn it heads up, and use the head as a decorative pouch, and that way, the fur will not be wild and wooly, as it is upside down. Also you won't catch debris in the fur, when it is running downwards.  Sort of like shingles, on a roof.  Otherwise nice job, and nice gift.  We had a capybara get loose from a Zoo down in West Palm beach, and it ended up in one of the little ponds at Palm Beach International Airport.  Took them about a week or so to catch him.  That's just a bigger version of the Nutria. ;)  You could've made shoes, AND a quiver out of that boy! ;) ;D  Did Zuma get the Nutria?  Supposed to be good eating.  A little greasy, I would think.  I saw the Weird food guy, eat on down in Louisiana, on the weird foods show.  We have them down in the Everglades also.

Wayne

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 10:59:58 pm »
the fur will not be wild and wooly, as it is upside down.
  wild and wooly, upside down; seems like this quiver represents the archer (me) pretty well.  Function and ease of crafting will have to go first before looks. 

I do appreciate you pointing that out though.  I didn't really think about it.  For the next one I'll pay closer attention.  I'm not sure how Zuma ended up with it.  No holes in the pelt so I'm guessing it was trapped.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 11:29:00 pm »

There's your next adventure film! ;)  Catching the wiley nutria! ;D 8)  While of course avoiding being caught by a big ol gator instead.  :o   You can still rearrange the quiver.  Just a little sewing here and there, and wa la . ;)  Where are you located?
     Have fun chasing the nutria. ;)
                                                                              Wayne

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:34:20 pm »

There's your next adventure film! ;)  Catching the wiley nutria! ;D 8)  While of course avoiding being caught by a big ol gator instead.  :o   You can still rearrange the quiver.  Just a little sewing here and there, and wa la . ;)  Where are you located?
     Have fun chasing the nutria. ;)
                                                                              Wayne

Eh, it's fine for now. lol.  I did the sewing abo with bone needle and agave thread.  I'm in north Brevard county.  Gators and I get along pretty well.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 11:38:42 pm »
Nice job on the quiver Tim it looks nice.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 11:29:02 am »
Awesome Tim,
I knew that rat would go to a good cause. Everything I have heard about the furry creatures is that they eat like chicken. The reason I skinned it was to let my buddy eat it. He loves them.
Shot it while duck hunting, Look for some of the pellets in the skin. they may rust as they are steel shot. lol
Nice primitive work and it suits you. Now what am I going to do with my otter?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 01:01:51 pm »

Those teeth, could be used as a primitive crooked knife, like the N.A.'s made with beaver teeth, to scrape bows, and other wood items. ;)

Wayne

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 01:33:37 pm »
Hey Tim,
What do you think I should do with this guy?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 11:30:02 pm »
Sweet! I like it. I've got a couple raccoon pelts that are destined to become quivers.
"Son, we don't really care how it looks, We want it to work." - John McPherson

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 12:19:39 pm »
Hey Zuma is that an otter?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 03:24:03 pm »
Pretty sure Ben,
It was road killed and the guy let me photograph it.
Zuma

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 06:04:15 pm »
Hey Tim,
What do you think I should do with this guy?
Zuma
Skin it and send it to me of course! lol

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 12:20:17 pm »
Hey Z - darn! I was hopin it was yours. I would have traded you for it!
Ben

Offline Zuma

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 07:50:06 pm »
A finished otter sock pelt was going for $125 at Silver Springs last month.
What do you have to trade? PM if you want.
Zuma