Author Topic: shooting tabs  (Read 5255 times)

Offline carpenter374

shooting tabs
« on: December 24, 2007, 05:03:21 pm »
Hey guys/gals. this is my first post on this page. i have been working on learning to make bows, arrows, etc for about two years now. i have successfully managed to finish two bows of hickory. anyway, I was wondering what advice some of you may have about shooting tabs, gloves, etc for three finger draw shooting. I can draw up to 50/55 without a tab but my latest bow is 65. it messes with my concentration to feel the string digging in at that weight. i made a tab out of a piece of leather but it doesn't give me a very clean release. thanks in advance.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: shooting tabs
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 05:13:57 pm »
   I use a Damascus shooting glove.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 06:40:43 pm »
I know exactly what you're going though :)! I usually just let my fingers heel for a day, shooting only a short time (say 30 minutes) a day. After a week or two my hands should be better. Though, I have been looking at those shooting gloves with the three stalls on a wrist strap, they look pretty sweet :)

Minuteman

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 06:46:53 pm »
Get you some cow skin leather with the hair on and make a tab out of it.
  Anyone thats shot much with nothing on their hands will prolly tell you if they are honest that they shoot better with a tab or glove. It allows you to have a smoother release. Allows the shooting to be more pleasurable as well.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 07:02:35 pm »
It's been my experience that a thin tab or glove gives me a sloppy release. It lets the string dig into and roll the meat up on the tips of my fingers. I get a cleaner and more comfortable release with a thick tab. I usually make my own, but if I buy one I usually add another piece of leather to the back of it to make it thicker. 3 or 4 thinner layers works better for me than one thick piece as one thick one tends to be too stiff and wrinkle.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 07:11:06 pm »
   Shooting heavy bows without finger protection will lead to nerve damage.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 07:16:36 pm »
   Shooting heavy bows without finger protection will lead to nerve damage.
Nothing like your fingers going numb during hunting season.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Loki

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 08:19:09 pm »
I prefer a tab over a glove,the tab gives me a better feel for the string.I've been shooting with my current one for a few years and it's still going strong,it's got three thin strips of leather for the pad,much better than a single thicker pad.
Durham,England

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 08:22:30 pm »
   I believe I read somewhere that a tab gives a better release. There was one I tried a few years ago called the "Mitt" that was real nice.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 06:31:44 pm »
Get you some cow skin leather with the hair on and make a tab out of it.
  Anyone thats shot much with nothing on their hands will prolly tell you if they are honest that they shoot better with a tab or glove. It allows you to have a smoother release. Allows the shooting to be more pleasurable as well.

Pleasurable, yes- smoother, no :'(. I spent two hours making some leather stalls, and though they made it easier to shoot, my release was WAY off. My dad likes them though  ;)!

Whatever you get, make sure you like it- it's hard to learn new tricks, no matter how old you are!

Minuteman

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 12:25:22 pm »
Kegan, try a tab it may be what yer looking for.I know yer drawing those heavy bows and we don't want you doing any permanent damage to yer hands.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 07:14:49 pm »
Kegan, try a tab it may be what yer looking for.I know yer drawing those heavy bows and we don't want you doing any permanent damage to yer hands.

Hmmm, I made one for my brother a while ago. He liked it, maybe I should give it a try. It should take alot less time to make too ;D.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 07:39:48 pm »
I used to shoot with a Hill style glove for years. my accuracy was horrible. I have switched to tabs and my accuracy has improved alot. I make my own and am very pleased with them. I am wanting to try and make one like the Archers mitt if anybody has any advice. Or directions.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!