Author Topic: Alaskan Archers?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline woodcraft

Alaskan Archers?
« on: March 19, 2014, 08:27:03 pm »
Hey my name is Marty.  I haven't posted on here much but have been following several threads closely.  About a year ago I moved to the Anchorage area and am wondering if anyone on here lives in the area. I've been to the Traditional Archers of Alaska homepage, but it seems to be under construction.  Anyways, just looking to get involved in a primitive archery community up here! 

Also, it seems the only decent hardwood for bows that grows up here is paper birch, so I've got a few staves split and seasoning.  Hopefully one will produce a shooter! I'll try and post it on here when I am finished.   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Alaskan Archers?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 08:31:38 pm »
Welcome Marty.  I think we have(or at least had) a few members from AK but I'm not sure where. Do you have hop hornbeam or serviceberry or choke cherry? They are all bow woods and probably arrows too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:37:03 pm »
I "believe" (not super sure) but I think there are a couple guys from AK on paleoplanet as well, if you wanna ask there too?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline woodcraft

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:43:56 pm »
Thanks for the welcome, Pat B.  Now that you mention it, I believe we do have serviceberry (although I have yet to see it up here) and we also have elderberry, I just haven't seen it big enough. 

Thanks toomanyknots, I'll check over there as well.

Offline bumppo

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 08:55:29 pm »
I live in Wasilla, have been shooting longbows for years, and just recently (past few years) have switched to shooting English style warbows. Are you looking for primitive shoots, hunting, bow building? I may be able to steer you towards some contacts I have.

Walt

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:04:12 pm »
"Fiddler" on Paleoplanet (and I think here too) is from Alaska. He frequently posts bows made of various types of lumber ranging from typical domestic choices to exotics.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 10:49:56 pm »
Welcome aboard!

Offline woodcraft

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 02:17:21 am »
Thanks bummpo, PatM, and adb!  Bumppo, I sent you a PM

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 01:39:29 pm »
Welcome.  I think member Chadwick is up there too. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 02:48:38 pm »
Hiya! I live in Palmer and had no idea that Bumpo was living 10 miles from me. I've been feeling forlorn about the lack of community up here... Local club seems more like a few guys who've already got all the friends & stresses they need. I just got re-invigorated for my bowmaking in the last few weeks, I even got some purpleheart stuck in my eye two mornings ago.
By all means, if we can make bows together or you'd like to go kill some snowshoe hares, give me a call.
Michael Chadwick
907-841-2854
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 04:11:50 pm »
Should be some crab apple up there somewhere.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 06:13:49 pm »
Bow woods-
Order them. We don't have crab apple, cherry, or other fruit trees, unless someone planted one in a garden and has babied it. I have several birch staves... They chrysal if you sneeze at them. 68" 30# @25", belly fractures. I still haven't tried the ash I've seen, next project.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline woodcraft

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 03:15:50 pm »
Thanks Chadwick-  Heck yeah I wanna make bows and shoot hares!  I'll be in Fairbanks this weekend and next week but I'll give you a call when I get back.