Author Topic: sinewing a snakey bow?  (Read 1950 times)

Offline ohiocountryboy

sinewing a snakey bow?
« on: March 25, 2014, 02:29:10 am »
When laying sinew on a snakey bow, should it be stretched and laid straight parallel the string  or follow the curves of the crown? My thought is to lay it straight parallel the string for the most reflexing benefits and the least amount of sinew needed. Please correct me if im wrong.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: sinewing a snakey bow?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 05:54:13 am »
You really don't get much benefit with sinew on a snaky bow except for protection,if you lay it with the curves it won't pull it much and if you lay it straight it is apt to pull it off to the side and cause problems,snaky bows that need the back protecting ,I go with thin rawhide cut to the shape of the wood. JMO. :)
and you how opinions are. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:24:21 am »
 I agree with pappy. Thin deer rawhide is a better option.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:58:18 am »
+2...but what's your definition of "snakey"? Everybody's is a lil different.....can u please post a pic of it? You'll get better advice the more ya show n tell.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 09:40:39 am »
I've sinewed a few snakey bows, with good success.  I lay the sinew parallel to the string.  Depending on how snakey, you'll use more sinew than you would on a straight piece.  If you're looking just to protect the back, I would lean towards the rawhide mentioned by my buddies above.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 09:54:54 am »
Like Chris said, it depends on what kind of snakey we're talking about.  If it's only slightly wiggly, it works just fine.  Josh

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 05:33:53 am »
Speaking from my limited experience I'd say that it wouldn't matter, sinew is sinew and it will form the glue matrix and be a flexible piece no matter what.  I made a kids bow that had a hole and some curve, but following the curve because it was borderline slight.  Worked out fine, but I put too much near the hole where it was too thin and it pulled the belly apart but still shooting at 15# ;).  I've never heard of a splinter lifting on sinew...that I've heard of...but it couldn't hurt to follow the curve.  Like these fine gentleman said we'd have to see some pics but if it's way crazy you'd think that the fibers all going the same way would create run-offs...but with sinew I don't think it matters?  Or you could listen to Blackhawk and Pappy they probably know!  Might as well give 'er a shot either way, good luck!