Author Topic: Scrapwood bow  (Read 2000 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Scrapwood bow
« on: March 25, 2014, 09:47:18 am »
I have a scrap piece of massuranduba that is .9 X 1 inch and 66 inches long that I thought I would try to make a bow out of. Mostly I have made flat profile bows, but this one would have to be more of an elb design, I guess, since it is so narrow. I just thought I would get some feedback from some of you before I proceed. I also have a good piece of hard maple ready for the back. What do you guys think?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: Scrapwood bow
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:51:10 am »
What are you waiting for? Ive made one from no  more than that,and have seen other bows made from slivers of staves,so go for it! some times it doesnt take much wood to make a good bow.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:25:36 am »
Kenny, got to believe that you have way more Massaranduba than you need....you back that thing with some hard maple and you will be surprised how thin it will come even at higher weights. Believe you will wind up with a rectangular section even at 1 inch wide. My only experience is maple backed Ipe and at 1-1/4" width the Ipe was damned near thinner than the backer when it was all done.
rich

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 01:49:39 pm »
I am going to glue it up this weekend, but thought that 66 inches might be a little short for an elb style bow unless I kept the weight down. Thanks for the feedback.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 02:27:50 pm »
Glue it up, stay full width for the center 16" and straight taper to tips, should have plenty of wood
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 07:26:39 pm »
Thanks, Bub. That's what I needed to know.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 05:34:51 am »
Del?