Author Topic: Oak bo staff bow - can it be done?  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Sidmand

Oak bo staff bow - can it be done?
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:15:51 am »
Long time ago I used to practice martial arts, and in that endevor I bought an oak bo staff.  I will get pics later, but it's about 1 1/2 inch thick in the middle, and tapers on each end to about 1 inch thick.  You can see one here:Every time I look at that staff, I think "English Long Bow".

Do you think this is possible?  I have never made a D section long bow, and I have only made a few bows total (working on number 4 right now as a matter of fact).  But, I can't help but think with the taper already there, and the weight of that staff, that there is a bow living in there just waiting to come out.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:19:44 am by Pat B »
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Oak bo staff bow - can it be done?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:33:28 am »
Doubt that a bow can be made from your staff
Can a bow be made that would look like your staff ? yes !
The two have very different end results so your staff was most likely not done in a manner that it would be usable for a bow
With some good pics we can tell you for sure !
Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:36:40 am »
What Guy said.  It would depend entirely on the grain of your staff.  Personally, I would just go buy a red oak board with proper grain to make your bow.  It would be cheaper than ruining your staff.  Josh

Offline Wiley

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:07:58 am »
A well made wood staff should have the same grain structure as a bow. The grain running vertical end to end, runoffs or crazy grain in it would make a staff with weak points in it. If the staff was used heavily, took a lot of sharp impacts from other staffs there could be damage invisible to the eye.

If you can follow the grain end to end it might make a bow, I mean people have made bows with tool handles. If your staff is red oak, know that red oak is far from an ideal english longbow wood. Pretty much every single ELB made from red oak I was able to find has been backed with something stronger in tension like hickory or bamboo.

You won't know until you try, odds are good for ruining the staff, but if you no longer care for it or have a use for it and it's just eating you up inside to try to make a bow from it, figure out which way the grain runs in it, plane it flat parallel to the grain on what will become the back, and back it with bamboo or hickory and try to make a bow from it.

It would be cheaper to go out and find a straight grained board and probably achieve the same thing without ruining your staff though.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:09:26 am »
Agree with Gun Doc 100%

However,
If the grain was correct you would have too much of a round back for a bow with a flat belly. My thoughts  on using a staff would be to make a decrowned back and back it with sinew or something else if you wanted to try it. Making a bend in the handle bow with careful tillering on the belly. then some horn nocks...Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 08:06:22 pm »
Got some pictures and measurements, tell me what you think now.  70" long, 1.5" thick in the center, tapering to 1 inch at the ends.  The grain does run parallel to the staff, I don't know why I took the pictures the way I did, but it seems to be very strait. I drew lines on the early growth rings on either end and I'm pretty confident I could get a strait line down the middle.  Hasn't been beat up, and I'm not attached to the staff so sacrificing it isn't a big deal to me. I disliked it a lot really because I wasn't any good with it, preferred a short stick or knife as I'm not very tall and just couldn't get a feel for it.

Maybe an ELB isn't the right bow for this, but I can't help feeling that there is a bow lurking in there.  Maybe just a long flat bow? 

"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 09:12:19 pm »
On your first top picture, are you able to follow the middle line to the other end or does it run out before? Down the sides...
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 09:15:22 pm »
Maybe.
won't know until you are done.
Do you know what kind of wood it is?
Get at it , be worth more as a bow and a learning experience along the way!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 10:39:34 pm »
On your first top picture, are you able to follow the middle line to the other end or does it run out before? Down the sides...

Looks like it, but I will need to sand the staff down to be sure.  It has a pretty deep stain that covers any grain I can see on the side.  I do NOT see any lines run off though, and I am pretty sure I can see whole rings in the center of the staff.  I'm kind of leaning towards treating it like a quarter sawn board and making a long thin "board bow", and planing it down perpendicular to the rings.  But, I could also be convinced to chase a ring down to one of the middle rings and treating it like a flat sawn board bow.  That seems like more of a gamble to me though, both because I can't really see the grain all that well yet, and because I have never chased a ring on a stave before and I don't have a lot to play with there.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 10:49:21 pm »
With your first picture of the end grain, you have 4 growth rings, the other end looks like 6. Before you begin to tiller you should have only the 4 rings that run the entire distance. Those other 2 rings will be run offs somewhere-- either 1 in front, 1 in back of, or 2 on one side of the 4 good parallel rings.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 01:29:13 am »
I don't think those black lines are growth rings. Look at the second picture you can clearly see the actual rings going across horizontally.

I would try it if the grain is straight. Start by decrowning the back perpendicular to the growth rings like you said.
Springfield, MO