Author Topic: Bow services  (Read 3036 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Bow services
« on: March 24, 2014, 11:07:04 pm »
Been a while since I've been on this site and there is a bunch of outstanding work being done. My question may be way off but I wanted to ask it anyways so I apologize now if I offend anyone. Has anyone ever built a bow for someone else without a trade. I have a pair of snakey  Osage billets and a takedown sleeve that is screaming to become a bow. My primitive skills are poor as heck and I've been dying to create a snakey bow with skins on this thing. I wouldn't need an entire bow made but getting it roughed out and ready for tiller would really help me. If any of you vets out there are willing to help a bow hunter out please let me know. I just don't dare try it on my own because I know I will turn it into yet another pile of firewood. Thanks again and sorry if I'm out of line by asking.

Respectfully,
Justin

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Bow services
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 11:12:20 pm »
If I had any experience doing take downs I'd be happy to help you out, but as I am I'd be just as likely to wreck your billets as fix them up for you.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:27:01 pm »
Better yet, tell us where you are and maybe someone in the area will mentor you thru the process!  That way YOU get to build YOUR bow, you get to meet another bowyer and pick their brain, and make a new friend in the process!

So....where are you located?

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:30:11 pm »
sage advice from Jdub of the mountain of beards and diaper wearers!!... lol...no but seriously whats your location?
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline zenart

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 04:41:10 am »
Better yet, tell us where you are and maybe someone in the area will mentor you thru the process!  That way YOU get to build YOUR bow, you get to meet another bowyer and pick their brain, and make a new friend in the process!

So....where are you located?

+1  Priceless experience.
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 07:48:56 am »
That's a lot of work for a bowyer to just do for you Justin. Me personally? I wasn't born with skills, I developed them by failing miserably several dozen times. Grab the billets and work through (learn) one step at a time. You need nothing more than a draw knife, two rasps and a scraper for the entire process. There are a multitude of build along's on here and in the PA mag that will guide you through. Firewood? Who hasn't made firewood? Ill take a picture of my "soon to be" bon fire tonite, I bet there are 6-10 bows in it. Don't be scared to screw up. Its just wood and can be replaced with more wood just like it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 09:24:57 am »
Ya guess your right Chris... Just been bummed and frustrated with the self bow I just kinda gave up on them and been crafting more modern bows instead. I'll do a bunch of research and figure out a game plan. I've had the billets for about two years now and pick them up every couple months thinking how cool they would be as a bow. Guess it's time to try again.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 09:49:24 am »
Just grab one billet and slowly work through it. Get the sleeve fitted just right and get the outside profile done. After you get that one done you'll be that much better at it when you start the second billet. Join the two and start the normal floor tiller process. Its not hard, just go slow and think your way through it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 11:07:26 am »
Frustration and fear of Failure are my constant companions in bow building.  My time to actually work in the shop is so limited, and the expense of the good materials can be so dear, that I often hate to dive in and chase a project that I otherwise reeeeeally want to do.  Failing or even only marginally succeeding can be so very discouraging.

The best solution I've found for these is the company of lots of others that know what they are doing and are inclined to help.  I don't want anyone to do it for me, ...but it is great to have someone with more experience warn me away from the pitfalls at some point prior to me stepping into them!  I find this a MOJAM every year here in MO.  Additionally, our conservation department here in Missouri sponsors bow building educational events now and then that provide such opportunities. (Thanx again SwampMonkey!!!)  I'm given to understand that it can be found at the Classic in TN, and at the OJAM over in OK.  I'm not sure about other events in particular, but you should perhaps plan to attend one and carry your precious snakey billets there with you!

OneBow

Offline Wiley

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 11:46:54 am »
Find and study every take down and snake bow build along you can find on the internet until more confidence is achieved. Obtain the basic tools that have been mentioned. Get scraping and shaving on those billets. If your concerned about the direction you should take at any point, there are so many here that will be happy to help guide you in the process of turning these billets into a bow, take pictures and ask questions.

Success or failure at the very least it will be a learning experience. At the end you will have a bow or you will have firewood. This is the reality of making wood bows. If you succeed you will feel more accomplished than you will if you had someone do half the work for you. If it breaks, try to figure out why it broke and learn from it.

I did all the research I could before I started making my first bow, and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't know I could do it until I turned a piece of wood into a bow. I went into it feeling like my odds of success were pretty low, I expected to break a couple before I got one that would work. Lo and behold my first attempt became a bow, and I was very happy with this accomplishment. A snake bow takedown would seem a bit intimidating to me. I would probably go out and cut myself a white oak or maybe find a nice piece of snakey wood and attempt that beforehand to build my confidence in it. I have also not worked with osage yet, but I would try to chase one ring at a time even if it wasn't the ring I was going for, the idea being that by the time I get to the ring I was going for i'd have a lot of practice. Try to learn as much as I could throughout the process so that if I broke it, the knowledge I gained from the attempt wouldn't have made it not a total loss.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 02:06:51 pm »
I am not sure a takedown is even the right path for you right now. Maybe I missed something, but have you had any success at ANY self bows?? If not, I would strongly suggest a simple D bow, and put a few of them under your belt before you move up. I busted countless bows, and many of those bows somehow gained flight in my garage... ;) I make all kinds of bows, but D bows, or limb bows are my personal favorite.....simple, effective, and doesn't take much wood to make a hunting weight bow. Good luck whatever you decide  :)

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 02:46:23 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. I do have other staves I can attempt. I have two sets of billets and a few staves that may be easier. I have a great hickory stave that may be more suited for my to start with. I like a simple bow as it is so I will look around tonight for bold a longs for a simple D bow. I will post some pictures of what I got later tonight when I get home from work.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 02:47:22 pm »
I think you have to ask yourself what you really want. Do you want to become an accomplished bowyer that can make his own high quality hunting weapons or do you just want to own and use a good take down self bow? If it's the former then I think that you should definitely follow these fellas' advice, roll up your sleeves and start with something simpler. You have to be prepared to dig in for the long haul if you want to make a truly fine weapon. If it's the latter then I think you should find a skilled bowyer, compensate him adequately for his time and skill and have him make you the bow of your dreams.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 03:08:54 pm »
a simple pyramid bow is your best chance at success imo, use that hickory stave  so ya don't have to chase a ring it will come fear don't belong in bow building it will hold ya back at every step so take control of it and go to town, 1 3/4' wide at the fades to 1/2" tips 2" fades 4" grip and get the limbs about 1/2" even  thickness to start go 66" ntn
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 04:08:55 pm »
+1 with what bubby said if you go the lumber route, or even a stave if the back is flat enough.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.