Author Topic: Pretty perplexing problems painted in purple  (Read 4241 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

Pretty perplexing problems painted in purple
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:11:04 am »
I just finished a purpleheart bow for my wife, and BOY was this one a pain! And I know, I know, the tips are uber stiff... I'll fix that on another bow, I'm tired of piddling with this one!

(Ignore my dirty clothes, we'd been installing a new living room over the last two days)

I wanted to hit the 25-30 pound range, and, having never worked with purpleheart before, I started out at 1 1/4" wide... Well, it looked like it was going to be pulling around 35 pounds at that, so I took it down to just 1" wide at the fades, but it only dropped the weight by a couple pounds, so I started fiddling with the thickness...   Good night did this ever take a lot of sanding! I finally got it pulling at exactly 30 pounds at 28" but unfortunately, my tips wound up like you see - stiff...

The lesson I learned is a "no duh" to all you seasoned bowyers out there, but was new to me - lighter weight bows are not only narrower, but THINNER...  I know, "Duh."
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Pretty perplexing problems painted in purple
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:24:58 am »
The bow is impressive, but the alliteration outstanding.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:36:42 am »
I like those slightly stiff outers, tiller looks awesome to me...You know she's worth it ;) Nice work
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 10:41:41 am »
Nice job.  Love the contrast.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:44:52 am »
Looks good to me,I prefer a little stiff outer limb anyway,so that is just about right. Pretty wood also.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 10:53:31 am »
Tillering those lighter bows can real fussy.
Good job,
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 10:57:47 am »
Stiff tipped straight limed bows is the best way to go, like Pappy said. That tiller looks damned fine to these old eyes. I'll bet it's a quick little devil as well. Very well done.
rich

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 11:13:25 am »
That's a fine looking bow to me. Tiller looks spot on. And don't feel alone, I have more trouble with light weight, short draw length bows than any other kind.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 11:17:14 am »
I appreciate all the kind posts. Admittedly, I was REALLY close to seeing how many BTU's this thing produces - if not for my "discovery" of making the blessed thing THINNER...

Maybe in a couple weeks, I'm going to be putting another one together, and then I'll be adding a couple of different steps for me. First off, I'll be building it for a 25" draw, so that will place the bow at about 62" long, (I've never made one that short) and I'll be adding tip overlays - which is altogether new to me too.

I had a 60# tri-lam Molegabet with NO tip overlays. There was so much mechanical advantage in those limbs that after about 30 or 40 shots, the hickory back just broke off of the nock and it went flying. My arrow didn't hit the target, but the TIP did. AND it happened in front of some school kids we were teaching. Oh, well, at least they got a good laugh.  Hey, anything for the kids, right? :)

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 11:33:27 am »
Tiller looks fine to me. What did you back it with? Looks like hickory.

Offline Wiley

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 12:39:29 pm »
Looks good. Don't have to consider those stiff tips to be a problem. I probably would have called them levers that were done intentionally. They are stiff but they look very light, probably right on the verge of bending.  Bet it's fast for a a 30lb bow.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 01:15:44 pm »
Looks good. Don't have to consider those stiff tips to be a problem. I probably would have called them levers that were done intentionally. They are stiff but they look very light, probably right on the verge of bending.  Bet it's fast for a a 30lb bow.
Yup... thats not a fault it's a "feature"... or "character"  ;)
And if it explodes its a "Kit" ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 01:53:14 pm »
"And if it explodes its a "Kit""
--------------------------
OK, I had to clean off my computer screen after reading that one, thanks I needed that laugh!

Yeah, in case anyone was curious...
Hickory backed purpleheart
68" tip to tip
1" wide at the fades, tapered to 1/2" pin nocks

It started out at 1/2" thick at the fades, then tapered to 7/16" at the tips. I do this on my bows to give them juuuuuuust a bit of taper in thickness. THIS bow I had to sand down so much, I think the whole of the limb is down to 7/16" or less.

I believe that the stiff tips came from a combination of glued in 2" of reflex, and the slight taper in thickness. Purpleheart Bow Two-Point-Oh will be straight 7/16" and we'll go from there.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 03:44:06 pm »
Stiff tipped straight limed bows is the best way to go, like Pappy said. That tiller looks damned fine to these old eyes. I'll bet it's a quick little devil as well. Very well done.
rich

It will pull a little smoother with stiff tips. Kinda like mini levers. i think it looks pretty good. They are a bit stiff, but it still looks great, and obviously some people like bows specifically with stiffer tips. Nice bow, and pretty wood! Gives me hope for all the purple heart cut off I got that I can't do much with at the moment, :).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 03:47:38 pm »
Quote from: Wooden Spring link=topic=45778.msg622252#msg622252 date=1395677042
I believe that the stiff tips came from a combination of glued in 2" of reflex,
[/quote

Reflex can make tips stiffer I find? Don't know why? But the results for me is that after getting it tillered out correctly, the tips are narrower than they would be if the bow was not reflexed when glued up. (that's how is seems to me anyway)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair