Author Topic: First time in a while  (Read 4164 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
First time in a while
« on: March 21, 2014, 10:28:35 pm »
*sigh*

It was a good streak, I think. I made some nice bendy sticks all in a row, got 'em sanded and shiny, used a string to throw smaller sticks at a piece of tape on some carpet, gave 'em away and even sold some.

I was making a molle for a guy in Alaska. He said he liked what he heard about mollegabets and liked the look of the levers. Didn't want anything too short for his first bow so I kept it nice and long, cut it so the big knot was in the handle, thin and narrow limbs since it was only 25-30# @ 28". She had a tone of reflex I tried to heat out twice only to have it return. It was standing dead wood, so maybe it'd just had time to age beyond an unknown point of no correction. She said no to set the whole time and rang like a bell when I tapped the slightly concave belly. She was tillered to twenty five pounds at fifteen inches from full brace, well on her way to the target weight and draw.

Well, some locust I'd cut and glued  for overlays on several bows gave way with a loud snap. I don't know what it was about this one overlay, but it didn't want to stay on the bow.

I get to the saw and same as always line the tip up to shave half a blades width past the old glue line, clamp her down, cut sloooowly, and do you know what that saw did this time?

I'm getting a new saw because now I've got a personal problem with the old one, and the old one probably should have been replaced a while ago >:(

If 'ya ain't breaking, 'ya ain't making ::)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Blaflair2

Re: First time in a while
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 10:46:21 pm »
Shitty man!
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:47:16 pm »
Yup, you ain't. I still break'em and make'em. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 11:01:17 pm »
That sucks man.  Sorry. 

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 11:11:24 pm »
Well...getting a new saw is good at least!

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 12:37:14 am »
Holy Crow!! Thats to bad,You OK?
 What kind of saw are we talking about? Power saw, tablesaw, bandsaw? What did it do to the saw? It must of scared the heck out of you.. Take care, Chuck

Armstrong, BC

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 01:48:00 am »
How the heck did a saw do that?

Offline Wiley

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 01:51:38 am »
I'm curious why that happened. Wouldn't think a half blades width trim would cause such a catastophic failure. Best of luck with your new saw.

Been having saw troubles here as well. We moved our old Jet 14" bandsaw out of the barn, and getting it back in working order. Turns out a number of it's parts were manufactured with pot metal. Replaced the drive pulley with one made out of actual steel because it had flown apart. The band saw guides made of the same stuff are literally crumbling away and falling off, once we get those replaced with some modernized guides it will be a better tool than it left the factory as.

Offline huisme

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 02:02:49 am »
Chop saw that I would clamp blanks to for different angles. It looks like something holding the blade just finally went, and I suppose holding it on over the bow for several seconds before attempting a cut was the last straw. It jerked to the side, grabbed the wood, and splinters flew. I just figured this out when I noticed the blade was loose, I guess I'm pretty lucky I wasn't hurt. I'm not going to fiddle with it, it's just going in the trash.
50#@26"

Offline Wiley

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 02:55:32 am »
Sounds like you were lucky you weren't hurt, as much as it sucks to lose a bow its great that it was the only casualty. I wouldn't ever trust a saw that did that either.

We love our Makita 10" miter saw with a laser guide on it. Love having a laser on a tool like this, really handy and it gets turned on before every cut.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 03:36:55 am »
That kind of happen to me on a really old 12" delta compound miter sidekick, The outside blade Washer fatigued and fraged the arbor nut may have started to loosen then bound a 2x4 I was cutting. Heck of a note. Parts for delta are getting hard to come by nowadays then the brushes went. Like you time for a new saw. I got the RIDGID 12in SLIDING COMPOUND  talk about a smooth cutting saw and super good guarantees, Good luck on your new saw search ,  Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline ohma2

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 10:28:16 am »
Better a piece of wood than your hand, thats a bummer..

Offline DuBois

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 01:48:53 pm »
Bummer man! Glad you're n one piece still.
Congrats on the new saw  ;)

Offline huisme

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 10:17:29 pm »
So, anyone have a suggestion besides a new chop saw for doing tip overlays? I've got my eyes on a DeWalt DW713 Heavy Duty 10", but if there's a better/faster way I'll take it.
50#@26"

Offline Wiley

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 10:28:42 pm »
It won't be faster, but you could make a miter box and a hand saw for whatever angle you use for overlays. Simple, effective, and 100% sure not to explode a bow because of failure of a part on the saw.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:38:10 pm by Wiley »