Author Topic: The "You've Got to be Kidding" Birdseye Crabapple Bow  (Read 58245 times)

napper

Re: The "You've Got to be Kidding" Birdseye Crabapple Bow
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2008, 02:30:11 pm »
JD I live in southwest washington (Longview) about one or one and one half hours from you hope you and your family got through the flooding with no problens have a happy new year Tom.

duffontap

« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2008, 02:41:06 pm »
Hey Tom, now I remember.  Did you change your screen name?  We got through just fine.  Some of my neighbors lost trees and roofing but we ended up doing ok.  I have never seen so many trees down. 

J. D.

This was taken right outside of Seaside:

[attachment deleted by admin]

napper

« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2008, 03:01:06 pm »
Glad to hear that you got through ok. It wasn't near as bad here I didn't even lose my lights this time I live up on a hill so water is not what  I worry about but the wind didn't blow hard here at all. If you want to shoot black powder just let me know and I will bring mine down their if you have a safe place to shoot I have a caplock and a flintlock both in 50 cal. I hunted with them this year and got my deer but no elk have a good day Tom

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2008, 04:42:09 pm »
Thats just showing off!!, just kidding, piece of work man, piece of work.
VB

PK

« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2008, 11:37:20 pm »
what happened to those trees in the pic

duffontap

« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2008, 12:06:40 am »
Tom, I may be coming up that way in the next couple months.  I'll email if I am.  Take care.

Venison--Thanks a lot.  I appreciate it. 

PK, we had a huge storm that took out a ton of trees around here.  That's one of the worst timber losses I've ever seen here.

J. D.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2008, 12:22:29 am »
Josh, That pic out side of Seaside is reminiscent of hurricane Hugo that hit Charleston in '89. I'm surprised some of those little coastal Oregon towns didn't wash away. Glad ya'll got through OK.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2008, 06:35:02 am »
JD I have been away and just seen this ,that is one fine looking character bow,and you know how I like character bow.fine job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

duffontap

« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2008, 11:23:12 pm »
You guys are great. 

Pat, we made it though ok.  My neighbor had a tree fall on his house and one of the old loggers from the street was trying to get it cut away but his saw bound up.  They came over and asked if I would help and I gladly helped until two of my chainsaws were stuck.  Lucky I had a third.  :D  Just when I start getting self-critical about collecting junky old chainsaws, I start needing them.  Ha, ha.  It was a fun week of waiting for the power to come back on. 

Pappy, thanks a lot.  I appreciate any compliment I can get from a character bow master like yourself.  Take care.

J. D.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2008, 12:05:44 am »
Be carefull when you get those things stuck.  I ruined a brand new bar trying to wrestle it out of a pinch.  It bent just enough to cut circles.  ;D Glad you guys made it through all right Josh. Any of that wood still good for bows or is it to splintered?   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Far East Archer

« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2008, 12:46:23 am »
Josh,
Looks like got your pikes all set up, just set your longbow men on top of that hill there and your ready for an enemy charge! ;D jk Glad you guys are alright, think you can make use of them logs out there?

I dont think I have commented on your bow yet, but yeah, Its a really treat for the eye! Very nice tiller and love the character!

-Alex

duffontap

« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2008, 02:46:13 am »
Justin, I've never bent a bar--you must have really buggered that one.  This was a totally comical scene.  Wind was just ripping and this tree was twisted and bound and really hard to read.  I wasn't surprised I got my saws stuck but the professional logger was advising my cuts.  He just kept shaking his head.  Wood can be full of surprises. 

Far East Archer--Check this out:   ;D

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4747.0.html

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2008, 10:51:48 am »
JD, I was using a 26" bar and felling a tree that was about 3 1/2' in diameter.  I was also in the middle of nowhere so I had to get the saw back out.  It wasn't pretty.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2008, 02:52:22 pm »
I'm still going back to look at this bow ;)

...Hey J.D., would you sell it ?
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

duffontap

« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »
No, but what a compliment!