Author Topic: Salmon skin on a little red oak mollie  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Dauntless

Salmon skin on a little red oak mollie
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:07:36 am »
I rarely post in these forums anymore, although I still make a bow here and there. Anyways here's a little fun one that anyone could whip out in an afternoon or so.

It's a red oak board bow that got transformed into a stretched out mollegabet of sorts. The levers were bending a bit so I reinforced them with a little bamboo backing and a thicker maple underlay doweled in for extra strength. The limbs were just the right length for a big fish skin taken from half a salmon. The dark back covered one limb and the lighter belly covered the other. She is a zippy little thing even if she took 2" of set (used to be a 50lbs bow).

62.5" nock to nock, limbs are 1 3/8" wide and only have 14.5" of actual bending, she draws 35lbs at 28"

The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline half eye

Re: Salmon skin on a little red oak mollie
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 11:00:27 am »
Nice bends sir, dont let the set bother you any. Blackhawk run a red oak board bow challenge a while back, and the fastest bow (submitted by Lane Johnston) had about that much set and still outshot the other bows. Set aint fatal, so enjoy shooting that bow it looks good to me.
rich

Offline VicNova

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 11:59:38 am »
That looks great!
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 02:52:06 pm »
really cool
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 04:17:33 pm »
I like it, Martin :) You've added some nice touches to this otherwise plain board of oak. I'm not sure if the backing AND underlay in the levers were both necessary, but they are nicely done nonetheless. What are those tip overlays? Some kind of burl wood?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 04:26:22 pm »
Actually the bamboo used to run over the limbs too, it was pulling a good 50+ lbs before it splintered though: too small a backing for such a wide bow I think. The overlays are pin cherry burl, they are very common on pin cherry trees here.

While I have dozens of staves, I often find myself coming back to the simple red oak board bow. The straight lines are really easy to tiller, the wood is easy to find and backings are very easy to apply. I probably make 3 oak board bows for every stave bow.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline gmc

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 08:25:53 pm »
Once I saw the tiller it confirmed it.  8)

Not sure if it was really you.
Central Kentucky

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 09:30:14 pm »
That's a great looking bow man.  I haven't seen any of your stuff in here for a while it has been missed.  I really like that bow

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 11:36:41 pm »
 8)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...