Author Topic: Traditional way to make dowls for arrows?  (Read 3045 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Traditional way to make dowls for arrows?
« on: March 15, 2014, 03:26:36 pm »
What is a traitional and cheap way to make shafts? As I shoot English Longbow the majority of my arrows are 1/2 ash or poplar. It can get quite pricey as I tend to make a lot of arrows.

Help really appreciated

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Traditional way to make dowls for arrows?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 03:50:15 pm »
Cut straight grained poplar or ash boards into 1/2"x1/2" square stock. Using a small plane remove the 4 corners then the 8 corners and your shaft is almost round. Now you can use sand paper take the corners down to a round shaft.
  You can buy a dowel cutter(less than $20) and get shaft quicker.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 04:00:08 pm »
Where could I get a dowling plane to ensure the arrows are all matching in diamteter?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 04:54:02 pm »
I've used a small thumb plane I bought for $10 from ACE Hardware.   I also made a sizing block with different sized holes drilled into it(3/8", 11/32" and 5/16").
 Check out George's site at the top of the "How To" page and click on "Pine Arrows".
 Someone else will have to tell you about the dowel maker I talked about.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 07:49:01 pm »
Cut straight grained poplar or ash boards into 1/2"x1/2" square stock. Using a small plane remove the 4 corners then the 8 corners and your shaft is almost round. Now you can use sand paper take the corners down to a round shaft.
  You can buy a dowel cutter(less than $20) and get shaft quicker.

I think if you want 1/2 inch finished arrows you will need to start with bigger square stock. 1/2 in square ends up being a little less than 3/8 in my experience.

Patrick

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 01:57:04 pm »
I made this plate from 1/8" mild steel.  Just drill various holes and taper them on the front side.  Works great for what I want. I taper the sqaure stock on both ends insert one end into the drill chuck.  The socket deal does not work for me, the stock flops around to much.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 03:03:14 pm »
The draw plate like bow101 made is probably a more traditional way to make shafting than any other method mentioned here.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 12:40:29 pm »
i traded with John Strunk for one of his arrow planes.It works great and i can take it with me and make shafts anywhere.I have used it to reduce shoot shafts as well.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 07:50:26 pm »
I bought a dowel cutter from lee's valley. I like it.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 03:22:24 am »
I Drive down to the hardware store..Big Bin of them $.39-$1.09 depending on wood variety.....I think the Primitives and Traditionals did the same thing to get their dowels...But That is just as guess, as the cave paintings and ancient text are a bit vague
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 08:00:25 am »
I Drive down to the hardware store..Big Bin of them $.39-$1.09 depending on wood variety.....I think the Primitives and Traditionals did the same thing to get their dowels...But That is just as guess, as the cave paintings and ancient text are a bit vague

Haha, awesome ;D