Author Topic: red elm five curve bow  (Read 22889 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: red elm five curve bow
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2014, 01:54:23 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words folks!  I appreciate it!
Adb- I got a few grown up versions in the works
One bow- I wouldn't want to get shot with it!  15 lbs will do a lot more than break the skin. :o.  If I thought for a second that there was a chance of her shooting her brother, I wouldn't have made it for her.  I've been blessed enough to spend some time around Soy's kids and even went on a shoot with em.  They are great, well mannered young uns, so no worries.
Falcon- I never know where I'll be from one day to the next.  I sure hope that I get by there soon.  Its been too long.
Seminolewind- I haven't forgot you Sir.  I should have time this evening to properly explain and illustrate my method.
Thanks again!  Josh

Offline ohma2

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2014, 06:21:32 pm »
Looking forward to seeing your cauls or what ever to, next on my to do list.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2014, 10:30:44 pm »
First thing first.  This is in no way an accurate replica of any historic bow that I know of.  Native American  or otherwise.  I just want it understood that I'm not insinuating that this is a style favored by any specific people.  It is simply a hybrid of a few different designs that I've been cherry picking various attributes from trying to make a bow that meets all my criteria for a good bow.  I feel that I'm just about to that point, but not quite.  Next thing is please forgive my crude illustrations.  I will be plum amazed if any one gleans any useful information for this attempt at explaining it.  So here we go.  The first pic is my simple cauls.  These are just cut out of a 2x6 using the radius of a 3 pound coffee can.  You will notice that one of them has an elongated end to it.  This is not necessary.  It is simply a matter of personal taste.  I like the recurves to have this shape as opposed to a continuous radius.  I strive for silence so the elongated shape keeps the string from contacting the limb, whereas the full radius actually causes the string to contact the limb like a static recurve.  Again, just personal taste.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2014, 10:41:56 pm »
I use the full radius caul to heat in the back set and the elongated one to heat in the tips.  The order in which you do this is important to get the reflex and shape right.
1. Heat in the recurves (flipped tips)
2. Heat in the back set.  My illustrations show near 90 degree angle on the back set.  I don't bend it that much.  It is actually closer to 110 degrees.
3.  Now you heat in the deflex bends in the inner limbs.  Ideally, what your shooting for is the limbs to be on a flat plane 2" forward of the set back handle.  The recurves should be another2" forward of that for a total of 4" of reflex.  Here's a pic of the progression.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2014, 10:52:00 pm »
The way you deflex the inner limbs is the most finicky part of the process.  I just bandsawed out a general shape like is shown and bored the clamp holes.  IMPORTANT!!!! When deflexing the inner limbs, I do NOT pull the limb all the way down to the caul.   I simple get one clamp positioned on the inner side of where I want the deflex to start, heat the inner part of the limb and incremental tighten down the clamp until I get the deflex I want.  Like most of my work, this best guess, eyeball construction.   Once you get it pulled in to the reflex you want, let it cool and then do the other side.  Don't be surprised if you have to redo the bends a couple times to get em right.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2014, 10:59:50 pm »
The front profile of the bow is simply a narrowed handle pyramid layout.  The narrowed handle will be working a little, but not much.  So be sure to leave it thick enough when you rough it out.  When tiller these, I leave the handle and recurves stiff until i get it tillered out to within 3" or so of full draw.  Then I get those all working just enough to open up a little, but not enough to take set.(pull out)  I hope that helps some.  If I gave anybody a migraine, I apologize! Josh

Offline half eye

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2014, 11:04:12 pm »
Migraine.....no, damned fine idea YES. Thank you sir, fall in love every time you post one.
rich

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2014, 05:38:58 pm »
The illustrations are very good and easy to understand thanks ! The part about the handle was most confusing to me before your explanation. I was thinking the handle obviously had to be somewhat thinner to allow the bend to be heated into it yet strong enough to not bend significantly under draw. Guess that's a happy medium that comes from experience which I'm working on gaining. Do you ever reinforce the handle prior to wrapping?
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2014, 05:51:42 pm »
<snip>One bow- I wouldn't want to get shot with it!  15 lbs will do a lot more than break the skin. :o.  If I thought for a second that there was a chance of her shooting her brother, I wouldn't have made it for her.  I've been blessed enough to spend some time around Soy's kids and even went on a shoot with em.  They are great, well mannered young uns, so no worries.<snip>

So very sorry!  I did not at all mean to disparage the young lady.  I'm sure she is a perfect princess archeress and has no intention of brother hunting.  I was once a hunted brother, and survived it though.  Heck, I probably deserved it!  My sister used a BB gun though.

OneBow

Offline Josh B

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2014, 06:18:22 pm »
I should've mentioned that before you heat in the bends, you should get it to a real stout floor tiller (barely bending).  You want the limbs bending just enough to be sure the handle is not bending.  That should prevent to flimsy of a handle.  Also, that first one you looked at was way over built.  I think Weylin said it was 1 3/4" wide at the fades.  1 5/8" is plenty wide and much snappier.  That is of course sinew backed.  I have an Osage in the works now that is 1 1/2" and an ironwood that I laid out at 1 3/8".  As i said, I'm still trying to get this design developed.

Onebow-I never thought that you implied any thing of the sort about the young lady.  I was more worried about some young squirrel reading that and getting the idea that 15# wouldn't hurt somebody.  On a side note,  I believe that my wife was the kind of sister that you had.  She used to wait until her brother started push mowing their yard while wearing shorts and then she would crawl up on the garage roof with her bb gun and shoot him in the lower legs.  I guess it was great sport until her Dad caught her.  Up until then, her brother thought it was the mower throwing debris at his legs.  Lol!  ..........Oh crap!  Now I'm giving the squirrels ideas.  Whoops!  Josh
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 06:21:51 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline ohma2

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2014, 10:07:56 pm »
Hey thanks josh. I like a challenge and this will be one, gonna give it a go.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2014, 03:28:12 am »
Make no mistake that she's above brother hunting...that is one of her favorite pass times  >:D but rest at ease knowing close supervision will be had when in  possession of said equipment Lol
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Josh B

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2014, 11:21:02 pm »
OHMA-If I can be of any further help, let me know Sir.

Soy- I stand corrected.  Here I thought it was only the grown up females that fooled me so easily.  Apparently, when it comes to ladies, my naivety is limitless regardless of age!  I would've sworn she was the perfect little Angel.   She must take after her dad a little after all! >:D. Josh

Offline Wolfgang

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2014, 06:19:18 pm »
It's just wonderfull! Get's me much inspiration to work on something similar - using the European availability of wood and staves. Wolfgang ;)

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2014, 08:26:57 pm »
Fine little Cupid bow Josh. Love the full draw curves!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!