Author Topic: red elm five curve bow  (Read 22881 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: red elm five curve bow
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 02:49:04 am »
I will guarantee that she will love it !!! I'm having a hard time not showing her the pictures ... she will come hunt you down if she does ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 09:53:16 am »
Soy- I sure hope she likes it.  But don't be lettin' the cat out of the bag!  I gotta get Jack's atlatl done first.  It wouldn't do for Stevie to get her bow and Jack get only a raincheck!
Clint- it does maneuver around the cab quite nicely! Lol!
Thanks Doobs!
Rob- better get her one made then.  If I can help, let me know.  I have about 3 yds of that material and several blanks.  It wouldn't take much to heat some curves in one and send it out.
Thanks Pat! Hopefully little Stevie can pull it to full draw.  Its a bit heavy, but my boy is the same age and he can pull it.
Slim, Bub, Greg, Rich, Mitch, Greg, Mike- thanks fellas!
Bryce-ya gotta be patient ol buddy!  Lol!  Thanks
Matt- since the handle is stiff it isn't really any harder than a straight one.  On the grown up version, the setback handle is working too.  That gets tricky.
Lostarrow- thanks!  Building for the kids is by far the most rewarding.  We had our first 4H shot Sunday.  85 kids in all.  A dozen or so are shooting wheelie bows, the majority are shooting the clubs recurves, but there is an ever increasing group shooting selfbows.  The wheelie bow coach cant figure out why the kids hover around the selfbows and pay scant attention to the modern equipment.  I use Pappy's line on him,  "if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand ".
Thanks again everyone!   Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 10:14:27 am »
Well that turned out pretty darn cute :) don't ya love making kids bows ;).....I don't...lol  :laugh:

Offline Josh B

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 10:33:45 am »
Thanks Chris!  Yeah those little boogers do require an extra degree of finesse.  But its worth it. ;)
Sorry Mitch, I missed the question on your post.  I use dry heat and different radius half circle cauls on most of my bows.  I don't have any full length cauls.  I've been meaning to make a few for years, but never got around to it.  By using the simple radius cauls I can adjust the placement of the curves for different length bows.  So it works out.  I sometimes use steam on various woods that don't bend well with dry heat.  But I prefer dry heat.  Josh

Offline dwardo

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 01:23:37 pm »
Stunning little bow. Must take a hell of a lot of patience to bring the tiller in. You could use a razor blade as a scraper :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 01:37:36 pm »
Thanks Dwardo !  I talked my customer into taking a f/d shot.  I had the arrow nocked a little high so it makes the tiller look funky.  But he was laughing so much about my little pink bow that I didn't want to suffer through another pic. :-[  So here you go Bryce!  Lol!  Josh

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 04:39:55 pm »
Hey Gun Doc first I want to say very nice work ! I have seen some of your other bows including another awesome 5 curve bow which was even awesomer !!!  :o

Question, do you heat in the deflex in the mid limb, or do you let the "set" from tillering deflex it? I want to eventually try making one of these myself.

Thanks !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 05:52:34 pm »
Gun Doc, All those curves and stripes! That's a sexy one, nice work, you nailed it...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Josh B

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 07:01:00 pm »
Thank you Mr. Burchett!  Much appreciated Sir!

Seminolewind-thank you for the kind words as well Sir.  More importantly thank you for your service!  The deflex bends are heated in.  With the setback handle and flipped tips, I doubt the bow could be braced without deflexing the limbs.  If you don't mind waiting a day or two, I'll get out my crayons and draw up some illustrations and explain the way I do it.  I'd do it now, but I gotta get rolling towards Alabama with a hot load.  Then on to New Orleans for a load to Kansas city.  Busy busy!  Josh

Offline ohma2

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 07:10:28 pm »
Greatwork on that josh, I to would like to see your drawing. A 5 curve is on my next to do list. Drive safe.

Offline adb

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 07:19:18 pm »
That bow is very cool... even though it's teeny-tiny.

Any plans on building an adult size bow of similar design?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 07:23:39 pm »
Booyah!!!! Killer man!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 07:43:53 pm »
aaaaawwwwww its so cuuuttttteeee

Offline turtle