Author Topic: Old American Indian Bow  (Read 10694 times)

Offline kleinpm

Old American Indian Bow
« on: March 18, 2014, 10:31:55 am »
I called the division of Yellowstone National Park that stores there artifacts to see if I could exam any bows/arrows they might have. They replied that they had a recurve osage orange bow, 34 3/4 inch long. I thought this is going to be neat. I was expecting a short osage plains bow. To my surprise the bow is a Yew paddle bow from California that was donated to the Park about 100 years ago by a collector from Bozeman.The collector that donated the bow moved to Bozeman in the 1880's. The paperwork with the bow says it was acquired in Humboldt, CA. As far as I know this bow has been in storage since it was acquired and isn't in any books and has probably only been seen by a few people since it was acquired.

34 3/4 inches long, sinew backed yew. Handle is 1 1/4 inches wide and 1 9/16 inches wide mid limb. The the bow is more or less the same thickness throughout the bow at about 3/8". As you can see in the pictures the bow is painted on the back, but the belly was painted red at some point. Most of it is gone and it has an orange hue now. Some sapwood is visible on the edges of the bow.The string appears to have been painted red also, but it is very faint now. The red paint on the string may have been from handling the bow and then touching the string when it was in use or in storage.

The grip is wrapped with thick rawhide or thin leather and has seen a lot of use.

Unlike a lot of bows that I have seen in western museums, the workmanship is superb. There is not a tool mark anywhere on the bow and the sinew back looks better than most of the bows posted on the forum. Unlike most plains bows I have seen, the sinew seems like leg sinew instead of one thin course of backstrap sinew.

I have a few more pictures if anyone is looking for anything specific. There were two arrows with it that I am going to post in the arrows section.

Patrick

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Old American Indian Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 10:59:10 am »
is that bows belly slightly concave? very nice bow non the less
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 11:37:39 am »
Very cool, Thanks for sharing. Do you think the string is sinew or plant fiber? Looks like a two ply to me??
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 11:46:27 am »
 8) dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 11:51:29 am »
Ionic,

The bow is slightly rounded on the belly.

NClonghunter,

The string is 2 ply sinew, 1/8 inch across.

Patrick

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 11:54:13 am »
Very cool old bow :)

Offline TimBo

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 12:09:27 pm »
That's great - thanks for posting!  I was just re-reading the paddle bows section of TBB last night. 

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 12:17:38 pm »
Wow! Thanks for sharing this bow. That string looks like sinew to me.  That thing looks stout for 34"!!

You said the backing looked like twisted leg sinew?  Do you have any close-ups of that?  Looks like it has the Hupa kerf-cut nocks. 

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Traxx

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 12:31:58 pm »
outstanding

thanxx for posting.,

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 12:46:54 pm »
Wow! Thanks for sharing this bow. That string looks like sinew to me.  That thing looks stout for 34"!!

You said the backing looked like twisted leg sinew?  Do you have any close-ups of that?  Looks like it has the Hupa kerf-cut nocks.

No. The backing looks like leg sinew instead of back sinew, not twisted. Most plains bows that I have seen have one thin layer of blackstrap sinew.

Patrick

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 12:56:12 pm »
Thanks for the new photo on my file

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 01:15:41 pm »
That was a great opportunity for you to examine that bow. Thank you for sharing it.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 01:55:28 pm »
Thanks for clarifying....I dont know where I read twisted??? 

ionicmuffin, I thought it looked concave too.  Must be one of those depth illusion things. 

That is a sweet discovery.  Glad they allowed you to nock the dust off and snap some photos.  Thanks for sharing them. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 03:46:32 pm »
awesome piece of history there, great detective work kleinpm

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 05:13:35 pm »
Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left