Author Topic: wax wood for bows  (Read 4117 times)

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
wax wood for bows
« on: March 22, 2014, 11:17:09 pm »
I was watching a slow motion video of a shoalin style fighter whipping a wax wood staff around and in slow motion you can really see the elastisity of the wood... anyone ever used the stuff for bows? also is wax wood just a nick name for another more common wood?
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline adb

Re: wax wood for bows
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 11:21:21 pm »
Hmmmm.... never heard of it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 11:57:00 pm »
I've never heard of it either unless it is wax myrtle, a shrub or Chinese tallow tree an invasive exotic growing in the south.
 IMO, neither would be good for bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Wiley

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 01:01:58 am »
A little bit of googling turns up that Ligustrum lucidum or Glossy Privet has been used in China for pole weapons. I was able to find some bows made out of it from places where it is invasive and not protected.

Found a mention of specific gravity of 0.63. If it's really springy, and hard enough for a pole weapon, would probably make a fair bow.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 03:05:49 am »
wiley I know privet makes a good bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 09:34:54 am »
Japanese privet, an invasive exotic in the southern US makes good arrows and I imagine bows too. I've never tried Chinese privet but it is a common landscape plant, also exotic but not as invasive as the Japanese variety.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 09:51:37 am »
... wow, my google skills are lacking! thanks guys, just a random thought I had watching videos late last night. wouldnt mind getting a piece for a staff or bow.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 09:53:22 am »
I would say if you can find a good source go for it... I will say that EVERY waxwood Bo Staff I ever had back in my Aiki M.A. Days were junk! I think those Monks have higher quality stuff than most martial arts supply houses, lol.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 09:57:44 am »
Because it seems to have good elasticity, maybe a good wood for a backing?
A thin layer over some yew, osage or cherry maybe?

all hypothetical, I know you guys will shoot me straight on this and I dont have the time or skill to jump on this quite yet.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 10:36:30 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!