Author Topic: First sinew job, on first bow, Osage Updated tip reshaped?  (Read 9663 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
First sinew job, on first bow, Osage Updated tip reshaped?
« on: March 17, 2014, 05:13:54 am »
This is my first bow, and the first time working with sinew. I have been following a build along from Mike of boarrior bows on YouTube.  I would like all of you alls input, please.  The build along I'm following made backed bow of the month with carp skins in an issue of primitive archer magazine!  I applied the sinew tonight with tight bond II. I tried some test using hide glue, and just didn't trust it yet. (Need to work on the recipe I think.)  I have read everything I can get my hands on and watched every video I can find on bow making etc. Most of them more than several times. I have been reading a lot on here and value you alls opinion greatly. Please give me any and all comments on my pictures. Thank you all for the help!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:10:34 pm by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline TRACY

Re: First sinew job, on first bow, Osage
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:58:59 am »
Looking good from what I can tell! I take it you'll wrap the ends later?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:34:34 am »
Yep, Tracy I plan on putting snake skins on and wrapping the ends near where the sinew stopped back to the end of the fade.

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline zenart

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:44:15 am »
I'm new so pls don't mind my rookie questions.. you didn't wanna heat bend that one end straight?  Is it really all that hard to mix hide glue, what'd you learn from it?  thanx- Z
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:08:45 am »
I'm new so pls don't mind my rookie questions.. you didn't wanna heat bend that one end straight?  Is it really all that hard to mix hide glue, what'd you learn from it?  thanx- Z

Zenart, I actually have done a lot of straightening. Even took out some propeller twist. If I law a string on it from nock to nock it's pretty well centered.

I mixed up some Knox gelatin hide glue, per about 3 different recipes I found online. The only thing I didn't try was heating it slowly at a lower heat. I glued two pieces of red oak scrap together with it and it held ok. I did have to use two pair of crescent wrenches to break the joint. But the glue gave and not the wood. Also I plan on hunting with this in Missouri. Where you can get out and it be 80 degrees one min and 40 and raining the next. I had never used hide glue before and just didn't trust it yet.  What did I learn from it? Take my time and don't rush something that is a process. Thanks!

Offline zenart

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:37:46 am »
Thnx leb.  Wondered if you saw this Sinew Build Along by PatM. Pretty cool.  When it's my turn I'll certainly gonna go this route.  Could ask him about hide glue mixing' if ya like. He's obviously pro at it.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,43246.0.html
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:45:51 am »
I do hope you are planning to connect both limbs with the sinew running across the handle. IMO it will make a big difference in the final results.
This is a pretty big project for your first bow but it looks like you are doing a pretty good job.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 09:27:00 am »
Thnx leb.  Wondered if you saw this Sinew Build Along by PatM. Pretty cool.  When it's my turn I'll certainly gonna go this route.  Could ask him about hide glue mixing' if ya like. He's obviously pro at it.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,43246.0.html

PatM's sinew-a-long is really really good.

EDIT: Well, I guess the sinew-wrap-along I mean. The results look really good though.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 10:52:34 am »
I do hope you are planning to connect both limbs with the sinew running across the handle. IMO it will make a big difference in the final results.
This is a pretty big project for your first bow but it looks like you are doing a pretty good job.

I think he did Pat. The bottom of the picture is one of the limb tips, I think.

Patrick

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 11:25:07 am »
Wow. A sinew backed osage recurve  selfbow for your first build. Very ambitious. I sure hope you're going to let your sinew job cure for a good while before you start tillering. Also, you could remove a massive amount off your tips... they're hugely overbuilt.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 12:29:44 pm »
Pat B, I put the same amount of sinew all the way through from one limb to the other. Does that make a difference?  One of these days I hope to do a sinew up like yours.

Wow. A sinew backed osage recurve  selfbow for your first build. Very ambitious. I sure hope you're going to let your sinew job cure for a good while before you start tillering. Also, you could remove a massive amount off your tips... they're hugely overbuilt.
Adb, I have had second thoughts about it at different stages as well, your right it is a big project for my first. I do plan on letting it cure for quite some time, not sure how long is long enough? At least a couple week's? 
My tips are from the end of the fade to the tip 1" to 3/8" , they are static reflexes. Could you explain the over built part to me a little? 

Zenart, thanks. I have looked at that a couple of times. It's pretty awesome! One day I hope!

I have been taking my time working on my bow taking time to read everything, asking questions to an Indian friend of mine who has also told me several times that I should have made a flat bow. I have always been the one to step into deep water first then wade the shallows later.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 12:47:13 pm »
Thanks Patrick. I see that now.
  leb, yes. I do the same.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 01:38:14 pm »
I would let it cure longer than a couple weeks in a dry warm area laying flat belly side down for best results.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 02:06:55 pm »
I'd give it 6 weeks to 2 months to cure but that just me.

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 03:47:02 pm »
Depends really on the RH of your surroundings, but it'll likely be 2-3 months before it's dry enough to fully tiller.

Even if you're tips will be statically not bending, they're still way too big... ie too much material there, mostly in thickness. Remember, wood that is twice as thick is 8X as strong as wood that is twice as wide, so I would reduce those tips a bunch. Those big tips will make your bow much slower and it'll have a lot of recoil or handshock.