Author Topic: Lilac bow design ideas  (Read 2112 times)

mikekeswick

Lilac bow design ideas
« on: March 17, 2014, 06:08:11 pm »
My friend has just cut a piece of lilac with the intention of making his first bow from it. It's straight enough and has a couple of inches of reflex but is only 53 inches long. I've just read the section on it in TTB4 and it looks like we might be onto a good thing  :)
We  just reduced it down to 2 inches wide and an inch thick, removed the bark and sealed the back and ends. It is beautiful stuff...the heartwood has pink, olive and purple/scarlet bands in it! It's like every ring is a different colour  :)
I was wondering have any of you ever made lilac bows and if so how is it best treated?

Offline PatM

Re: Lilac bow design ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:34:39 pm »
 Do a search on here and Paleoplanet.  Several threads on it. A guy from Finland has stated that it would be the only wood he would use if he could find it in decent quantities.
 It is incredible stuff. Made a few trial shorties out of it.
 I have a couple of billets that I cut last fall that are ready to join and work.
 I would glue tips onto your stave to stretch it out and make a full draw version.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 11:24:41 pm »
Yeah, I remember that guy kindof. he made a nice short bow if I recall. I have stick roughed out.

Interesting thing with it.

I removed bark on the area I was thinking of as the back and left it on the rest of branch and shellaced ends and back and left it for months. When I looked at it again it had checked right along the bark line and  still got a decent roughed out stave. It was trying to split itself into a bow  ;D
I finished the rough out job and still keep eyeballing it.

I think it was Mrs. Roosevelt that had tons of it planted along highways to help beautify the nation and up here there is a stretch called the lilac corridor. I think I will try to get some of the larger ones I have been peepin at before too much sap starts rising.
Will be watching this one closely.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 02:16:08 am »
Thanks for that fellas.
Just to make everyone jealous we can get lots of it from the place he works  :)
I've got to say it again....it's beautiful stuff.....can't wait till it's dry!