Author Topic: Don't build bows at PEARLY'S house!  (Read 6556 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Don't build bows at PEARLY'S house!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 11:43:55 pm »
quarter or flat either way, I prefer quartersawn though, hard maple boards , had lot's more hickory blow than maple that is for sure, try it you'll love it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Roy

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 11:55:45 pm »
How can you use flat sawn for a backing? Doesn't the run out act the same as violating a ring on a self bow? Do you thickness taper the maple backing like we taper boo?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:04:53 am by Roy »

Offline zenart

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 12:11:26 am »
Does the 1:3 / 1:4 ratio apply for pretty much all backing or jus boo?

Is it ok to have 1 or 2 or 3runoffs on quarter sawn hard maple back?  I looked thru maybe 169 boards at yard, took an hour and half, and not one of 'em was 'perfect'.
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 12:16:57 am »
Roy if you can make a flatsawn board bow doesn't it stand to reason it will work for a backer, anyhow I've used it  with little to no problems

Offline Roy

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 12:36:43 am »
I have never made a flat sawn board bow, or any board bow for that matter.
I make BBO or tri lam BBO's. All I ever use is rift sawn or 1/4 sawn for my belly slats and back them with boo. I did try a 1/4 sawn hickory backed Osage bow once and the hickory blew up a splinter. I guess I have a hang up here mentally, thinking about self bows needing to be to one ring for the back of the bow. So therefore I think hickory or maple backed bows should be 1/4 sawn, not flat sawn with run outs. And then ya throw into the equation if you use 1/4 or rift sawn for a backing, you have the run outs on the sides of the bow limbs. The questions of wood bow building are endless.. :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 01:02:36 am by Roy »

Offline Gordon

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 01:28:19 am »
I've built a fair number of bamboo backed bows and about a quarter of them have lifted a splinter. The rest are solid as a rock. Unfortunately I've not yet figured out a cause. It just seems to happen for no good reason at all.
Gordon

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 02:12:17 am »
well roy if ya think about it , all you build is board bows, ya just use real skinny ones and glue'em together ;), all i'm saying is try a quartersawn hard maple backer, I doubt you'll be disapointed

Offline chamookman

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 04:05:14 am »
That's a bummer Daryl ! Least You were in pretty good company - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 09:11:20 am »
I was bummed, he was minutes from shooting it. Oddly enough, I griped about glue and glue bows half the night! I just love my selfy's. Grab one of them osage or HHB staves you have Darryl, and everything will be okay..:)

This boo was pretty bruised and dinged. It was easy to see why it broke, that's always a little better.

Edit: For the record I have nothing against glued up bows, love them actually and own a few charmers. I just despise working on them is all.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:15:29 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 09:34:10 am »
I still believe Drums was responsible, in some way...hee,hee!  ;D  Good to hear from you Darryl.  Hope all is well!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline DQ

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 10:26:10 am »
Hmmm...You guys have me thinking (and a little confused) about bow backings.   ???

Chris and I just "aquired" a two inch thick air dried hickory plank.  So tell me, do I cut my backing strips quartersawn, riftsawn or plainsawn???  I was thinking quartersawn because that should be the strongest.  Plainsawn seems like you'd be hitting the baseball bat on the trademark.  I agree with Roy on quartersawn or riftsawn belly wood.  How about the backing? 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 10:29:47 am »
I can promise you mine will be 1/4 sawn Darryl. Im not sure you can break a 1/4 sawn hickory backer.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 10:55:47 am »
I would cut them 1/4 sawn... If you guys want them tapered, send them down Chris and I'll taper them for ya.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 11:05:09 am »
Since my planer blades are junk, I might just rip all the strips out a 1/4" thick on a table saw and let you make them for me! Yah, that's a good plan.

Offline Roy

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 11:19:01 am »
Okie Dokie...