Author Topic: Can I Trim this to fix it?  (Read 6637 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Can I Trim this to fix it?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 01:34:54 am »
       I wouldn't say the bow is whip tillered but I do see several areas where the bend is not transitioning evenly. I think the gizmo is a good tool for getting a bow to brace but I don't care for the circular tiller it gives. A 72" bow doesn't need all that limb bending. If it were me I woulkd play with the bow a bit and learn from it. Pike it, heat treat it, maybe slightly reflex the limbs while heat treating. The two limbs are bending about the same amount but they are not bending in the same places. I wouldn't get attached to the bow. Not bad at all for your second effort though, pretty good actually.

Offline adb

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 01:46:20 pm »
When I was new at this, and a senior member said something like: 'The two limbs are bending about the same amount but they are not bending in the same places' I always wondered why they wouldn't suggest ways to improve or fix the problem they were seeing. It didn't seem helpful.

I think as experienced bowyers, we should probably offer advice which is helpful in solving the problems new people are struggling with. For me, if I just say someone's work stinks (and I'm not saying that is the case here), I may risk offending them and discouraging further effort. Just a thought.

Offline Clean_Missed

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 02:45:20 pm »
Here is the bending bow after piking it and redoing the tips. I put it back on the tiller tree and it pulled 55@ 28" with no additional tillering and the bend looked acceptable to me so I finished it. All that is left now is the grip and shelf. I opted not to heat treat it more out of impatience than anything but I think I will try it on my next bow. Here are a few pics. Let me know your thoughts and thanks  for everyones input. It all helped and kept me thinking even though things did get a bit heated. ;) That was not my intent, but I am open to all opinions. I might not agree with all them but at least I have some different points of view! Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:59:05 am by Clean_Missed »
Sincerely,

Clean_Missed

"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it."

-ALBERT EINSTEIN

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 02:56:09 pm »
there ya go, looks good man.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 03:09:56 pm »
ya did good...THAT...looks like a bow!   8)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 03:12:29 pm »
Looks good, I think you did a fine job.  Your friend should love it.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 03:22:01 pm »
Really nice!  I think you can be very proud of that when you gift it to your friend.  Your tips look much better as well.  Nice work.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline adb

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 05:53:43 pm »
Hey! That looks great! Your tips look much better. I think your tiller looks pretty decent too. You got that top fade moving more. It's still doing a lot of the bending mid-limb, but that looks better. Nice job... your first solo bow >50#. Set looks minimal and your brace profile is sweet. Good job Buddy!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:58:05 pm by adb »