Author Topic: Tip Alignment  (Read 1951 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Tip Alignment
« on: March 15, 2014, 12:38:01 pm »
  Wrestled with the heat gun this morning trying to align my tips...Got it on the first shot :o  The caul has 3" reflex and the bow kept 2" after cool down...I was a happy camper after unclamping...Here's some pics of some snakey Sage...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 12:44:47 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

Re: Tip Alignment
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 02:06:12 pm »
Dang Don, you got that bad boy whipped into shape...ya know ya got to "skin" that baby right? Nice job so far, sir.
rich

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 02:22:45 pm »
Looking real good!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 02:27:08 pm »
You are doing some snake charming on that bad boy. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 03:24:49 pm »
You won't really be able to tell how the string tracks until you brace the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 04:46:05 pm »
Looking like a nice bow shaping up there Don. Just came back from the shop after dealing with the same issue on a similar looking osage as yours. Thought I had mine whooped until I low braced it for the first time, steamed the handle and clamped it up again.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 06:01:54 pm »
  Rich, I waited to skin it after clamping, didn't want to risk crushing a spot on the ring...Got half this morning and will do the other tonight...I do use pine on my caul because it's soft...
  Thanks Hrothgar
   Howard, It was a fight and I won round one ;)
   Pat and Greg, You guys are correct, after brace they can bend into all kinds of wonky shapes, keeping my fingers crossed and may have to coax it again. When I started making bows low brace got me the first time after stringing and one limb bent like a banana and the other was straight !!! Lol, never forgot that one, I know my face went crazy...Wish me luck, she's 65 at nock holes, 66 ttt.
                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 11:35:19 pm »
looks like yours is coming along nicely. I'll be watching this one to see how it turns out.
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 09:52:42 am »
What some people fail to realize is that sometimes it's easier to bring the tips into alignment by simply adding some, or a bit more, sideways bend at the tips.  In the case of a straight bow you're adding a bit of character and in the case of a snaky bow a bit more character.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com