Author Topic: Selfbow FPS?  (Read 27114 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Selfbow FPS?
« on: March 14, 2014, 01:14:34 pm »
What do you feel is an average and very good FPS for a selfbow shooting a 10gr per pound DW arrow?  For example would you agree with the figures below?
  • 50# bow, 500gr arrow: average=150, very good=170
  • 60# bow, 600gr arrow: average=165 (150), very good=185 (170)
  • 70# bow, 700gr arrow: average=180 (150), very good=200 (170)
thanks!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:51:18 pm by PAHunter »
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Joec123able

Re: Selfbow FPS?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 02:47:29 pm »
Well speed is something I don't care much about but in my head I would think they should all average around the same speed but there's so many factors that go along with speed that I dont know lol
I like osage

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 03:12:18 pm »
    I agree with the 50# listed but feel they should all shoot the same if you raise the arrow weight. If they were all shooting 500 grain arrows your chart would be closer.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 03:14:54 pm »
I've modified your post to show what it would be
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 03:32:38 pm »
    I agree with the 50# listed but feel they should all shoot the same if you raise the arrow weight. If they were all shooting 500 grain arrows your chart would be closer.

Excellent, that makes FPS it a lot easier!  So a very good 50, 60, and 70 pound bow would shoot around the same 170ish FPS with a 10gr per inch arrow.  But they would generate different kenetic energy, for example:
50# bow may generate 32 # KE
60# bow may generate 38.5 # KE (+6.5)
70# bow may generate 45 # KE  (+ 13)

Thanks guys!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 03:35:32 pm »
Why are you considering KE? There's not enough velocity to make it relevant.

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 03:44:49 pm »
Why are you considering KE? There's not enough velocity to make it relevant.

I hear some archers discussing it yesterday and it made me wonder about selfbows.  I'm looking for a good way to compare the potential penetration of bows given different DW and FPS.  The goal would be to help answer questions such as:
How much more effective is a 60# bow over a 50# bow?
What kind of FPS should I be trying to get when hunting elk?
How heavey of an arrow should I be using?

Personal experience and opinions are great but I was looking for a more concrete measurement of effectivness.  I was not aware the KE was not a relevant measure when it comes to bows.  I'm just trying to enter the woods with confidence that my equipment will be effective.

I appreciate your advice!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:54:04 pm by PAHunter »
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 03:56:55 pm »
Not sure that I would have much confidence in a chart as compared to a few thousand years of testimony to the effectiveness of a self bow But not every bodies mind works like mine so I hope you find what you need  !
Many of the words you speak of have more to do with salesmanship and mind games than the ability to get the job done .

Rest assured self bows do and will get the job done .

Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 04:11:11 pm »
Well said you worthless ol' nut!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 05:01:13 pm »
I shot one of my selfbows through a chrono a few years ago and was so disappointed in the number I never did or desired to do it again. I can tell from the first shot if a bow is a shooter or a good shooter. Either one will work for hunting or target. It's up to us to get good with the bow we shoot. Once you learn the trajectory of your arrows and are consistent in your form and release a 130fps bow will kill whatever you're shooting just as dead.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 05:19:39 pm »
Well said you..........!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 05:22:34 pm »
yeah im thinkin a few thousand years of success IS proof enough.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 05:28:05 pm »
I presume when speaking of the arrows you meant 10 grains per pound and not per inch. I've never shot through a crono but like Pat says after shooting for so many years you automatically know if the bow has good speed or is sluggish. An old rule of thumb was adding 100 to the bows weight (ie a 45# bow at your draw shooting 145 fps was considered adequate.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 06:42:30 pm »
If you want to be effective in the bush hunting, you need to do 3 things: practice, practice and practice. Shot placement is everything in archery and how fast the arrow gets there is less important.

Offline smoke

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 07:06:20 pm »
 FOC weighted arrows with sharp broadheads make a significant difference if you are concerned about penetration.  But I'll confess, speed with the right arrows sure make me feel good!