Author Topic: Doob's ERC  (Read 9630 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Doob's ERC
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 09:13:54 am »
Great work doobs. I like that unstrung profile and glad to see you made it through to the end. Persistence is a great trait to have in this hobby.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 11:07:10 am »
Good job with a tricky wood. I must say though you look like you are in some sort of disguse! Sunglasses with a big boiler suit and hidden face! ;D
Just hidin' from the cold Mike. Thanks for the kind words. I think you told me on this early on when it was losing reflex from sinewing that I should tie it into reflex. I think that would have maximized the sinew a lot better like Josh is talking about. Live and learn and thanks again.
Hey Josh, thanks again.
I see now that I could have gotten a little more of my moneys worth from the sinew but I am gonna enjoy this one and see how it holds up for future reference.
Thanks Mr. Pearlie, Persistence or addiction???

Offline Josh B

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 11:45:33 am »
I didn't mean that as a criticism Doobs.  Most of my sinewed bows aren't any closer to maximum strain than yours is.  I was just pointing out that I stand corrected on this one, but that a higher strained bow would be more of a problem.   Josh

Offline PatM

Re: DUMB ERC (Was this offensive?)
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 11:53:01 am »
Where are you getting this info from? Have you tried stretching a typical silk thread?

My info comes from my own trial and error.  Yes, I have stretched silk thread, silk cloth and sinew.  The sinew stretches farther and maintains its elasticity better than silk will.  However, there is more to it than that to be considered here.  Most sinewed bows are nowhere near to working the sinew at its max.  This bow is probably only using half the potential of the sinew.  And I'm just guessing that based on the dimensions and draw.  If that guess is remotely close, then the layer of silk is probably not overly strained either(not maxed out in elasticity).  If that be the case then the silk probably is not effecting the sinew in this case.  So I will concede the point on this one.  Sorry Doobs, it would appear that I spoke out of turn here.   However, I still maintain that this  bow is a beautiful piece of work.  Well done sir!  Josh

In a lab type test silk actually stretches something like 3%. They used to pre-stretch the old silk backing strips in the pre-glass days so that the silk was under more tension and doing actual work.
 Just laying it on top of sinew lets it be very inert and easily stretched, allowing the deeper sinew to still do its job. It would need to be something like low stretch glass cloth over the sinew to shut it down and make it act like a core instead of a backing.
 I agree that the sinew could be working harder by inducing reflex during sinew application. Especially with TB glue.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 12:55:41 pm »
I really appreciate the honest expression of experience and the opinions of both you fellas. I think you both make some valid and interesting points.
That's what it's about right? Learning from the guys that been there before us...and then going ahead and having to try it our way anyway  ;)
I'd still be snappin sticks in half and giving up if not for all the folks here.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 02:27:00 am »
Great looking bow man!  Lots of great character!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 05:39:17 am »
Now that's a looker,very nice. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 03:48:55 pm »
nice work way to stick with 'er

Offline DuBois

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 09:07:51 pm »
Thanks PA, Pappy and Peacebow. We'll see how she holds up over time  ;)