Author Topic: 'Cold Snake' static recurve  (Read 20059 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: 'Cold Snake' static recurve
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 09:46:28 pm »
Sharp looking bow.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 10:07:32 pm »
I ALWAYS love seeing your bows and that one is awesome!  I really like the way you did the statics and love the contrast of light and dark woods.  A build along would be sweet!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Will H

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 10:11:49 pm »
Nice bow, not really my cup of tea but well done none the less.  :laugh:

just kidding! That is an all around impressive work of art! Way to go adb!

Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline snag

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 10:17:10 pm »
I really like the design. Really stores up energy. Well done.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 12:03:11 am »
yet another one of your Bows I would really like to grab a hold of and shoot! Sharp ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline adb

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 12:55:41 am »
I am thinking as Steve is that this bow might do quite well in flight shooting. 

If your bow would have been made with anything else besides Ipe, or any other very elastic wood, the tiller shape would have been problematic.  I've seen many bows, recurves and flatbows, with such a tiller shape, yes including some of my own, chrysal and/or take excessive set over time in the outer limbs.

I will have to respectfully disagree again  ::).

I think this would work well with osage, and a bow with this design in osage is in the works. I also think the right piece of yew would work with this design too. I'll make updates as I make progress.  ;)

You are well within your right to do so  ;)

If you re-read what I said though you will see that I was saying that it would work with elastic wood, such as Osage and Yew.

I don't think I'm completely following your point, Marc. I don't consider ipe one of the more elastic woods, like yew. It is extremely dense and heavy, and very strong in compression.
What I really got from your message was: "If your bow would have been made with anything else besides Ipe, or any other very elastic wood, the tiller shape would have been problematic." Are you saying that the only reason this bow survived is it's made from ipe? I'm confused, cuz I don't think ipe is overly elastic.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:11:23 am by adb »

blackhawk

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 07:16:52 am »
Looks like its about time for me to make another cookie cutter recurve ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2014, 07:59:23 am »
Beautiful bow. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2014, 08:57:04 am »
Adam
That's why I said "or any other elastic wood".

Ipe is elastic.  It's very hard to chrysal Ipe even with a Bamboo backing. 

Steve (Badger) sent me a BBI glue up years ago that had fully 1/4" Bamboo  on a 1" wide, 64" long ALB blank.  What a nightmare to tiller and lateral stability was nowhere to be seen.  The bow hardly lost any of the glued in reflex and had fantastic string tension  The Bamboo put a lot of stress on that Ipe but it did not chrysal, in fact how often do you hear about chrysals in Ipe, and that tells me it is a very elastic wood.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

blackhawk

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2014, 09:23:04 am »

Ipe is elastic.  It's very hard to chrysal ipe

The Bamboo put a lot of stress on that Ipe but it did not chrysal, in fact how often do you hear about chrysals in Ipe, and that tells me it is a very elastic wood.

I've had it fret on me....jus saying.....but it was early on in my bow making adventure and a couple years before I was around these forums,n wasn't very good at this(not that I am now,but better than I was then....lol),and so you could say it was my fault and not the woods....but it wasn't that badly hinged,n I've seen woods like osage have worse hinges and not fret....I wouldn't say ipe is as elastic as osage tho...but it def has plenty for bow making obviously

Offline adb

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2014, 10:59:23 am »
Adam
That's why I said "or any other elastic wood".

Ipe is elastic.  It's very hard to chrysal Ipe even with a Bamboo backing. 

Steve (Badger) sent me a BBI glue up years ago that had fully 1/4" Bamboo  on a 1" wide, 64" long ALB blank.  What a nightmare to tiller and lateral stability was nowhere to be seen.  The bow hardly lost any of the glued in reflex and had fantastic string tension  The Bamboo put a lot of stress on that Ipe but it did not chrysal, in fact how often do you hear about chrysals in Ipe, and that tells me it is a very elastic wood.

I've just never considered ipe one of the more 'elastic' woods. Dense, heavy, very strong in compression yes... but elastic has never come to mind. Yew, on the other hand, is. It just wants to bend... it's just begging for it. You can feel it itching to bend.

I did a bit of digging on wood-database.com. Elastic Modulous (with the higher number meaning the less easily a wood will bend): EM of ipe 3,200,000 lbf/in2, EM of yew 1,320,000 lbf/in2, EM of osage 1,689,000 lbf/in2. Looks to me like ipe in about 3X harder to bend than yew. That's why I'm a bit confused by your statement.

Anyway, I don't want to be a dog with a bone. Thanks for your input, it's always appreciated! I saw your maple backed HHB recurve in another thread. Nice bow!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:00:17 pm by adb »

Offline ohma2

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2014, 11:15:51 am »
nice

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2014, 01:06:54 pm »
elasticity

Houghton Mifflin

n.noun

1.The condition or property of being elastic; flexibility.

2.The property of returning to an initial form or state following deformation.

3.The degree to which this property is exhibited.

Could we then redefine this within the confines of bowmaking as to be the ability of the wood to return to the initial form without fretting?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2014, 01:30:15 pm »
Resistance to bending is not what we are talking about here but how much a wood can bend without being adversely affected.  Black Cherry has a modulus of elasticity comparable to Yew but will chrysal if you look at it wrong and Osage's numbers are high yet we all know it is very elastic.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2014, 01:46:01 pm »
I think we can definitely divide bow woods up into hard elastic woods (Ipe,Snakewood.Osage, HHB) and soft elastic woods (Yew, Elm, Juniper). Elm is probably one that spans both extremes but is generally elastic either way.
  Certainly there are hard and soft non-elastic woods as well. Brazilian Cherry, Purpleheart. Pine etc.