Author Topic: 'Cold Snake' static recurve  (Read 20055 times)

Offline kleinpm

Re: 'Cold Snake' static recurve
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 05:03:32 pm »
They don't get much better than that! Perfect.

Patrick

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 05:11:48 pm »
That thing is sweeeeeet!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 05:54:56 pm »
Very nice Adam.  I would have to point out though that is is tillered to bend a bit too much in the outer limbs.  This shows in the fact that it has taken some set there.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 06:04:17 pm »
  Beautiful bow Adam. I can see that style getting more popular. Great job on those curves. I know from experience how smooth that style shoots but would have given it just a tad more work inner limb. I would be curious if you ever test it for flight how it does. My guess is that it would do very well.

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 06:11:45 pm »
Very nice Adam.  I would have to point out though that is is tillered to bend a bit too much in the outer limbs.  This shows in the fact that it has taken some set there.

I have to respectfully disagree.

Set? It has 1/2" of set, and that's freshly unbraced. In a short time, it settles out to none. But, I did tiller it on purpose to be doing more work in the mid to outer third. I wanted performance, and to take every advantage of the static tips.

I tillered the first static to do more work at the fades, but I wanted all I could get out of this design. I wanted the tips of this bow to be as 'whippy' as possible. Not whip tillered, but fast tips. I don't have a chronograph, but for these bows being the same draw weight, this bow is noticeably faster. It is 2" shorter, mind you.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:38:36 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 06:18:56 pm »
I think it's doing some serious bending deep in the middle/outer of each limb, but that's what I wanted. Is my thinking flawed?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:32:34 pm by adb »

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 06:39:13 pm »
           Looks pretty close to perfect. I think that tiller shape is the sweetest thing going. If it wouldn't have been so close to perfect I wouldn't have even mentioned what looks like just a slightly extra bend just inside the curves.

Offline PatM

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 07:30:40 pm »
I think your tiller choice might have been risky but well worth taking. The slightly increased bend towards the outer limb effectively makes your short bow even shorter.

Offline adb

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 07:31:49 pm »
That's what I was thinking. This bow was all about performance. Kinda the point with this design anyway, isn't it?

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 07:38:00 pm »
I really like it, Adam. The finish is smooth, too. Oh yeah, I vote yes on the build along.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 07:44:05 pm »
I am thinking as Steve is that this bow might do quite well in flight shooting. 

If your bow would have been made with anything else besides Ipe, or any other very elastic wood, the tiller shape would have been problematic.  I've seen many bows, recurves and flatbows, with such a tiller shape, yes including some of my own, chrysal and/or take excessive set over time in the outer limbs.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 07:49:05 pm »
 :) Most Excellent  :)
Beautiful bow, love the wood combos, the skins and the profiles. Looks fast and smooth for sure.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline adb

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 07:50:07 pm »

If your bow would have been made with anything else besides Ipe, or any other very elastic wood, the tiller shape would have been problematic.  I've seen many bows, recurves and flatbows, with such a tiller shape, yes including some of my own, chrysal and/or take excessive set over time in the outer limbs.

I will have to respectfully disagree again  ::).

I think this would work well with osage, and a bow with this design in osage is in the works. I also think the right piece of yew would work with this design too. I'll make updates as I make progress.  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 07:59:50 pm »
I so appreciate the polite discourse between Adam and Marc.  THIS is why I keep coming back, people comparing experience and knowledge politely, with me being the ultimate winner because I learn something in the end!  Well, usually I learn something.

In this case we have people with some serious experience and expertise hashing it out.  Forget the popcorn, I'm feeding  the brain on this one!  Thanks guys!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 08:01:35 pm »

I will have to respectfully disagree again  ::).

I think this would work well with osage, and a bow with this design in osage is in the works. I also think the right piece of yew would work with this design too. I'll make updates as I make progress.  ;)

You are well within your right to do so  ;)

If you re-read what I said though you will see that I was saying that it would work with elastic wood, such as Osage and Yew.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com