Author Topic: New member intro (& Wood List)  (Read 3182 times)

Offline adb

Re: New member intro (& Wood List)
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 01:11:03 am »
My draw length marks are from the top of the tiller tree 2X4, which is the bottom of the handle when the bow is sitting on the tiller tree. I always measure draw length from the back of the bow, so when I'm tillering out a bow, I have to account for the thickness of the grip. So, if I want to tiller a bow to 27" and I have a 1" thick grip (like on a typical ELB), I actually only pull the bow to 26" on the tiller to account for the grip thickness.

For every bow I tiller, I have to remember to account for whatever the thickness of the grip is. If you tiller your bows "upside down" like some of our brothers in the UK, you don't have to worry about this.

Offline Wiley

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 01:17:56 am »
Most tillering trees will require some sort of anchor that requires holes in the wall.  Kind of funny but the eye bolt I bought to attach my pulley was one of those things that the state of california declared causes cancer.

Check this one out, it relies on leg strength and the persons weight as the anchor. It would be what I would make if I couldn't anchor to a wall stud.
https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44274.0.html

Offline zenart

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 01:27:44 am »
Thanks Adam. Makes perfect sense.

PatB- Spalted? Figured?  remember, rookie here… baby steps… really tiny baby steps. Guess I could google it tho.

Wiley- a bolt? cancer?? ahh c'mon.  Thanks, Doobs set up is the ticket.. looks like he's drivin' an F1 Ferrari.. although in my case, guessing first one will be more like a soapbox go cart, wobbly wheels and all.
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline Wiley

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 01:39:15 am »
Indeed, but then again everything in California causes cancer or reproductive harm. Just a friendly reminder not to chew on the metal bolt I guess. I paid it little mind until it got brought up here.

Spalting comes from a fungus or a succession of fungi eating away at the wood. Makes some pretty neat looking effects with black lines going through it but the fungus damages the wood to the point of being not good for making a bow or anything else that relies on it being structurally sound.

Figured wood occurs from a variety of things, but normally its a result of abnormalities in the grain pattern. Some woods are figured more than others. For bows you want nice clean grain running end to end. If its quarter sawn, look at the sides and you should be able to follow the grain end to end. Figured wood will usually have some sort of crazy grain pattern ranging from stripes to swirls to birds eye patterns, and i'm sure other patterns as well. Really pretty to look at, not good for making a bow, although some of it could probably make an attractive stiff riser for a bow.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 01:57:52 am by Wiley »

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 01:48:03 am »
Welcome to PA.  You will be happy with all the kindness you will receive here. I just joined a few months ago and I also just stated an ipe longbow at and's encouragement.   Haven't resided to go with hickory are ash as the back yet but im sure either one will work well.  I hope your first bow is a success.   Again welcome.   Tim
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%