Author Topic: My new hog gun  (Read 8153 times)

Offline Marks

Re: My new hog gun
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 03:50:32 pm »

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2014, 04:20:14 pm »
That is a fist full of gun!  Those grips really do give you more purchase on the weapon.  I replaced the black plastic grips on mine with the rosewood and they gave it a slightly beefier handle than what it came with.  It still has that little finger sort of dangling half on and half off the handle.  Agreed your grips would settle that, but it isn't a real issue for me.  Don't you love how "pointable" these revolvers are?  It is no wonder this style of handgun has been alround so long.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Marks

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 10:57:22 am »
The .44 with the woods grips made me feel like a was trying to hold a pit bull back leashed with yarn. I'm a function over fashion kind of guy. To each his own.

It is a fun gun to shoot especially late afternoon as the light begins to fade and big fire balls come out of the end and sides. I haven't killed with it yet other than finishing off a doe that had already been shot. Missed 1 hog right after I got it but I'm blaming that on the sights being off still. ;) Had a small buck dead to rights at 25yds but he didn't meet the standards of our hunting property.

I've had one "idiot" moment with mine so far which made be glad I practice always pointing in a safe direction. Mine has somewhat of a hair trigger and I was sighting it in one afternoon while sitting down. I pulled up for a 1 hand shot and chickened out because it was my first shot of the day and I was a bit intimidated. I brought it down to let the hammer back down and as my arm came to rest on my leg it caused my finger to squeeze involuntarily. Next thing I knew the gun went off and I had taken the front sight right to my left eye. Luckily it had closed first but I thought I had literally lost my eye for a few minutes. I hit the ground covering it for a while. The pain was terrible. Luckily I came out with only a good cut on my eyelid. I was shooting again 20 minutes later. I felt so stupid.

The moral is always point it in a safe direction and KEEP YOU FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER unless you are pulling it. A gun like that can change your life in a quick second.

Offline bolsjedyr

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 08:55:38 am »
Let us all hope and pray that our significant others NEVER get mad and sell our guns for what we told'em we paid for 'em!

Well - IF they do - Just start doing the same with their shoes and they will NEVER do it again  >:D
You get what you give  ;D
If two men are to compete, it should be in archery. As they face the same direction, trying to accomplish the same goal, it is the most civilized of sports." Confucius