Author Topic: Should I continue?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Ross.m.

Should I continue?
« on: March 10, 2014, 08:28:03 pm »
This is my first bow I have ever attempted to make, and as expected I have run into some problems.

This is problem one. A rouge bandsaw blade went crooked and cut to 5/16 on a tip that was supposed to be 6/16.

Problem 2: a crack running along the belly of the bow.

Is this bow a lost cause? I wouldn't be too discouraged because I know now how to correct these mistakes, and could do it better next time. Any input would be helpful.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:31:19 pm by Ross.m. »

Offline Wiley

Re: Should I continue?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:44:13 pm »
I'm going to say you would be better off starting over. That is a pretty serious crack. I think it'll explode when you start to tiller it. I could be wrong though. What would it really hurt to try anyways?

Consider using something slower going than a bandsaw to get the shape roughed out. My first bow was cut out with a jigsaw, took me 10 minutes or so but it did the job without any problems. A jigsaw moves slow enough that you won't end up with any sudden gouges, and I was able to cut the drawn out bow from the board pretty cleanly with it.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:03:36 pm by Wiley »

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 08:58:10 pm »
 A. Number of specifics would help .ex,bow lenght,width,limb thicknest,species,draw lenght,intended draw weight,stiff or bendy and the list goes on.some better pictures would also aid in large fashion
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:24 pm »
Ross M,
Bushboy, you got there before I.....................

What kind of wood is it, How long, and how wide is it a the widest spot? And what are you planning to get out of it? (poundage and draw length). 

If you have the length you could cut it off.  Those are drying cracks, from here it looks like you could get by with filling them with glue, rawhide the back and you might get a light weight bow out of it.  as long as the cracks don't run off the side.

Just IMO
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:09:53 pm »
If it's your first bow you could always continue on and keep learning. Better than learning another lesson on a fresh piece of wood.

Patrick

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:26:36 pm »
Longitudinal cracks belly cracks are usually not a serious problem unless they run off the edge. Shoot some superglue into the cracks and it should hold. The cut at the tip end can be easily repaired by filling it with a mixture of glue and sawdust.
Gordon

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 09:29:53 pm »
With the limited info you provided I don't see either problem being catastrophic.  You can make e a wooden shim to glue into your unintentional Kerf cut.  Might look funny, but if its well fitted to the slot it won't hurt a thing.  The cracks will probably be gone by the time you get to floor tiller.  If not, fill them with superglue like was already mentioned.   So.....by all means continue on!   Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 11:04:38 pm »
Sometimes it pays to continue with a bow even if it has a fatal flaw.  But that only matters if you can learn from the mistakes!  Or are testing a "fix" to see how well it will work in an extreme. 

Your bow, your choice.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ross.m.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 11:26:09 pm »
Okay thanks all! To those asking, it is a 55 in pyramid bow made from hickory. I would have done a longer bow as my first, but the split of the stave went funny and left me with a short piece, and I did not want to waste the wood. also it is a bendy handle
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:32:01 am by Ross.m. »