Author Topic: llama hide  (Read 2664 times)

Offline anasazi

llama hide
« on: March 10, 2014, 02:45:51 pm »
I picked up a llama hide the other day from craigslist (wife isn't happy with  brother in law for telling me) it is sales and mostly scraped I still need to wash the blood out of the wool. I plan on using it as a sleeping mat and picked up a trading kit hopping it would work but not so sure now my next thought was egg tanning I need what little brains I have so that method won't work at the moment any one have any helps or suggestions it's a little rainy outside so I might be able to keep the eggs most long enough for then to soak in before drying if I keep it out of the direct rain ( usually pretty dry here)

Offline stickbender

Re: llama hide
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 10:42:29 pm »

Contact Pappy, he would be the man to go to. ;)

Wayne

Offline ck3282

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 11:44:06 pm »
I do a kot of brain tanning of all sorts of different hides and pork brains are what I always use. I've tried eggs , soap n oil, but the brains work better for me. And they come in 1lb tubs at the local grocery store for $2.49 a pop. The brand name is brookwood farms but I'm sure theres other brands where you live. Just make sure you smoke the hide whichever way you tan it in case it gets wet. You don't want to have to tan and break/stretch it twice. If your worried about evaporation soak in a bucket with a lid. The softening process is almost entirely mechanical I.e. stretching with all the primitive tanning methods and it is a lot of work but well worth it
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:49:01 pm by ck3282 »

Offline anasazi

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 09:41:51 am »
Thanks stickbender I will try to get a hold of him.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 09:53:52 am »
It the hair on or off ? If it is hair off it wouldn't much different than a deer hide and like
ck said you can buy brains. ;) :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good