Author Topic: Bugs Got It  (Read 1986 times)

Offline alcot

Bugs Got It
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:09:35 am »
Buddy saved me a couple of nice hickory logs he cut back in August,  but due an injury I couldn't get to them for a few months and insects totally destroyed the white wood. Is the heart wood any good for bow making?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bugs Got It
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:13:02 am »
If it was only bug damage and the logs were stored properly after cutting the wood below the bug damage should be OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline alcot

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 10:21:04 am »
One of th logs was split and sealed (after the bugs got it), the other one is off the ground but covered with snow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:38:58 am »
I would not use them. Not properly stored.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 12:02:13 pm »
Agree with Pat. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 01:26:52 pm »
I hate those bugs. I'm about to go drive a couple hundred miles to pick up some osage that has been on the ground for a week according to the guy who cut it, I thought it was closer to two, but he said he cut some more yesterday. I will be driving up there Saturday. I am hoping nothing has got into the sapwood yet, as I like to use the sapwood on osage. I know those bugs work fast, so got my fingers crossed.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 02:25:34 pm »
I wouldn't worry about osage being left out for a few days. Even the sapwood of osage is more bug and fungi resistant than most whitewoods. Once you get them back home TMK, get them under shelter, off the ground, seal the ends and split them at least in half...not necessarily in that order.   ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 02:28:37 pm »
I had some bug damage in a piece of ipe!! I couldn't believe it. What would eat ipe? I cut into the piece and it was riddled with tiny holes, the entire length of the piece.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 04:15:14 am »
I had some bug damage in a piece of ipe!! I couldn't believe it. What would eat ipe? I cut into the piece and it was riddled with tiny holes, the entire length of the piece.

Seen it too, mostly in a rest of sapwood of that board.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Wiley

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 04:53:44 am »
Some kind of hardcore amazonian bug if it burrowed into ipe. They have some pretty serious insects in that jungle doesn't surprise me that much though.

I would race to get as much of the sapwood off as possible. Those bugs are probably still in there eating slowly but steadily through it. Going to be some pretty tough work getting down to that sapwood though. I'd be tempted to call it fire/smoking wood and just find myself a fresh tree. It's almost spring time and the sap has started to flow here. Hickory is some tough stuff and i'd rather nature make my life easier than chasing heartwood a bug infested log.