Author Topic: First bow, tiller advice wanted!  (Read 1492 times)

Offline HDF

First bow, tiller advice wanted!
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:15:53 pm »
I've been working on this, a linen backed ash flatbow, 62 inches nock to nock, about one and a half inches at the fades tapering to less than half an inch at the tips which have lignum vitae overlays. Here are a couple of pictures, first question is does my brace height look ok?

Then here it is at full draw, I don't know how many pounds or inches, but I'm 6'2 and it comes to my chin, and it doesn't strike me as very heavy. I think the left limb is too stiff overall, and it is twisting a bit,I think the right limb is working too much at the fades, but I'm not sure.

What's your advice on where to go from here?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: First bow, tiller advice wanted!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:32:12 pm »
Your left is stiff at the fades and your right is too weak mid way. Use a straight edge to check your tiller. Its incredibly easy and accurate. ANYBODY can make a perfect tiller using one, first or hundredth bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 01:35:30 pm »
Yeah that one limb is scary. If u loosen up the left limb it will even up ur bend. And I'd take a little off the fade on the right to lessen that hinge. It's not too bad for a first go
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline HDF

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 03:18:17 pm »
Ok thanks, to correct the limb twist on the left limb I assume I should remove wood from the side it's bending away from? And to correct the hinge in the right limb just gentle removal of wood on the fades and tips?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 03:35:38 pm »
I don't see any limb twist that needs correction?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 03:38:58 pm »
Yes and yes.  I'm betting that the twisting limb is thicker on one side than the other.  You should be able to feel the difference with your fingers.  Josh

Offline HDF

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 03:39:31 pm »
The left limb has a very slight twist when viewed down the limb from the end of the tip. I don't know whether it's worth correcting though, the bow is already very light.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 03:44:35 pm »
Twist from natural growth in a stave doesn't need to be corrected.  If its twisting as you draw it because one sides thicker than the other, it needs to be corrected.  If you don't correct it the weak side will be over worked and progressively get worse.  Josh

Offline HDF

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 03:49:53 pm »
this started as a straight plank of wood so I'll correct it. I started it three or 4 years ago when I was about 14 I think, but just picked it up again recently so it is very light to draw but so long as It ends up with a reasonable tiller and it lasts I'll be happy.