Author Topic: My new hog gun  (Read 8163 times)

Offline 4dog

Re: My new hog gun
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 05:57:08 pm »
lmao!!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 06:48:55 pm »
What are the rules for carrying a handgun there?  You guys have those big ass white bears up there right? :D  I guess a pistol would only make them mad huh?  I would still rather have one on my hip than chuncking rocks.  Seems like the law ought to take into account a man's need to protect himself. 

Wayne I appreciate the tips on reloading.  I have a buddy of mine that is a real gun guru that is going to help me along.  I thought about the Marlin, and I looked at lots of variables.  For me, it was just unhandy to put the paddle down, reach for and shoulder the long gun.  I'm going to give the handgun a try for a while.  I will give y'all an update when I get to put it to use.     

Unfortunately the rules are quite simple, it's against the law.  Polar Bears are quite a ways North of most people up here.  Black Bears are quite common through most parts of Canada.

I reload all my amo and used hard cast wheel-weights in my .44's, the Ruger when I had it and my lever action.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 07:39:31 pm »
I am interested in getting into reloading too Marc.  It looks like after the initial expense of buying the equipment, I could save myself a little money.  I paid 34.00 for a box of .45 Colt ammo the other day.  That really had a sting to it.  One good thing about having the extra .45 ACP cylinder is that I have access to lots of ammo for not so much money.  Having the two cylinders and the weapon being such a solidly built platform opens up lots of options in the loads that I can develope.   I am stoked about this purchase!  Usually when I buy a toy that I have been coveting, as soon as I get it home, I see something about it that rubs me the wrong way.  Not so this time.  I like everything about this Ruger.     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline half eye

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 08:08:11 pm »
Ya done good pilgrim 8) My duty gun was a S&W Model 25 converted to the 45 Colt and loads that make ya proud to be an American (Elmer Keith was my hero for gun control) The hot load Colt round and 35 Whelin still my 2 favorites.

Good Huntin Brother!!!!!
rich

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 08:23:45 pm »
Thanks Rich.  Our issue weapon is a .45 and I have carried one for a long time.  I was missing the old wheel guns that I first trained on, so this bad boy scratches two itches.  The Model 25 is fine weapon too.   Without having to fool with those half-moon clips, you got yourself a real dandy.  That 35 is a bad ass round too.  Reckon why it never really caught on with folks? 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 08:55:18 pm »
I have a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley Model  41. Mag I really like it. Its pretty heavy  after carrying all day also. I think you will like the Ruger. Reload my own ammo also.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 09:32:33 pm »
Reloading???  somebody  stop me before I talk too much!!!  but I love love reloading!!!  but really for that .45\.45lc just get a couple lee loaders new about $40.00 bucks each!  now this will start a fight,  but just remember one thing.........  the tightest group ever patterned was done by loads made on a lee loader! I have all kinds of stuff but I just enjoy the heck out of pounding out a couple dozen match grade rounds with my lee loaders good luck jeffW

Don Case

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 10:39:15 pm »
Last time I looked(30 years ago) in Canada handguns are for target shooting at ranges only. To buy one you have to jump through more hoops than a circus dog. Once you get it you can only transport it to and from the range, no stopping, not for gas or anything. If you need milk go get it first. I don't know what they'd do if you got a flat, probably shoot you and throw you in the ditch. I have a .22 Crosman CO2 pellet pistol. I'm not even sure if that's legal any more. Oh, there's someone at the door

Offline Adam

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 10:51:17 pm »
Well darn it, why did you have to post this?  I'd had my eye on one like that for awhile and had almost convinced myself I didn't need it. ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 11:04:55 pm »
Last time I looked(30 years ago) in Canada handguns are for target shooting at ranges only. To buy one you have to jump through more hoops than a circus dog. Once you get it you can only transport it to and from the range, no stopping, not for gas or anything. If you need milk go get it first. I don't know what they'd do if you got a flat, probably shoot you and throw you in the ditch. I have a .22 Crosman CO2 pellet pistol. I'm not even sure if that's legal any more. Oh, there's someone at the door

You just have to watch out for those white vans on the side of the road. ;) I've got the Super Redhawk in .44 in a shoulder holster, love it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline seabass

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 01:34:02 am »
you did real good on that one.i am a big Ruger fan.mine is a super blachhawk 7 1\2 inch 44.i would really like to own one like yours.fine weapon indeed.i have a box of buff bore 340 grain plus p plus.i haven't shot one yet,but I am sure they are a handful.they list like 5 guns they are safe for.like you said,that says a lot about Ruger handguns.post pics of your hogs and good luck.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Marks

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 10:40:30 am »
If you aren't the nostalgic type and just have to have the cowboy look then you should look at the Hogue monogrips. I was having a hard time holding onto my .44 mag Superblackhawk with the factory wood grips in the summer time when my hands would get a little sweaty. Also my hands were a little big for the handle and my little finger would hang off. The Hogue monogrip is rubber, ergonomic, and extends down to include your pinky. It is wider so so it helps spread out the recoil. I love mine. Wouldn't consider going back to the old style. They are cheap too.

Offline adb

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 11:17:54 am »

Yes, this is the unfortunate truth. You can own handguns in The Great White North (and I do), but that's about all. To and from the range via the most direct route, in a locked hard case in a locked trunk. No stopping at the 711 for a slurpy.

Offline adb

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 11:18:20 am »
Nice gun, by the way.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 12:41:48 pm »
Caveman2533 - that .41 is fine weapon too.  That's another caliber that I am surprised never caught on like it should have. 

Jeffhalfrack - talking about reloading, the little Lee loader will probably do what I want to do.  I am interested in developing the best 45LC load for my gun, and probably won't be shooting them just to hear the gun go off.   It would suit me to save a little money on ammo, but actually focus on dialing in for the best hunting load that I can load.  Thanks again for the advice.  I may pm you later on for somemore tips.

Fellows it is amazing the differences in firearms laws.  Down here in Alabama they practically issue them to school kids  ;D 

Adam, you do NEED one of these.  :D

The Redhawk was really on my mind, and I would have gone with it except for my access to 45ACP ammo.   

I agree with you Marks, that rubber grip is nice, but I am the nostalgic type.  Love some wood grips.

Thanks adb.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi