Author Topic: Brush Nocks - A Tutorial - FINISHED!  (Read 21903 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

Brush Nocks - A Tutorial - FINISHED!
« on: March 07, 2014, 05:43:15 pm »
Howdy, all.  I've had a few people contact me recently asking me how I do brush nocks on static recurves.  I thought I'd do a simple tutorial on what I've learned and what works for me.  Below is a 64" osage recurve I'm working on that I'm adding rosewood and padauk brush nocks to. 

Step 1: Prepping the Various Laminations 
I cut them on a table saw, then true them up by hand on a belt sander.  I find it easier to work with wider pieces to prevent rocking/cupping.  As such, I'll be cutting the padauk lams down to size later. 

Step 2: Tapering the Limb Tips 
I taper the last 7" to make it easier to bend the recurves in.  I use a belt sander to get a perfectly flat surface.  The tape helps give me a reference so I don't go too far.

Step 3: Bending the Limb Tips 
I use a heat gun and go SLOW.  It takes about 20 minutes per tip.  If you let the wood plasticize properly (slow and even heat), you'll not struggle with the belly cracking under tension.  I get the last 4" good and hot, then place that tip in the jig and work my way down the limb.  I use one hand to gently support the weight of the bow (which is now sticking up in the air) but let a little of its weight help pull the bow down over the form.

Step 4: Prebending the Laminations
I heat and prebend the first three laminations on the same jig.  They don't hold near as much bend as the tips do, but it helps immensely.  I use a scrap of particle board as a backer to keep the lams from lifting splinters.

Step 5: Applying the First Lamination 
I use leather pads and small wooden blocks to help spread the clamping pressure out evenly.  I use Titebond III, which requires a smooth surface for glue-up (i.e. it does NOT fill voids and gaps).  This is prefect since both surfaces have been prepped with the belt sander.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:35:22 pm by 4est Trekker »
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline 4est Trekker

Re: Brush Nocks Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:43:58 pm »
Step 6:  Rough Shaping the First Three Laminations
I apply three laminations, two of which are full length (7") and one that is 4".  Then I use a disc sander to rough shape them, leaving the last 3" alone.  I do this now while I still have room to do it.  Once I get the final laminations on the last 3" of the tips, it makes it VERY difficult to fade and taper these first three laminations.

Step 7: Final Shaping the First Three Laminations 
Using a rasp, file, scraper, and sandpaper, I true up the fades of these laminations and round over the sharp edges, again leaving the last 3" of each tip alone.

Step 8: Preparing Limb Tips for Final Laminations
I use a disc sander to flatten the last 3" of each tip.  This makes it much easier and quicker to add the laminations that will eventually create the raised portion of the brush nocks.

More to come! :)

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 05:59:42 pm »
Thanks 4est. This is gonna be great!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 06:13:50 pm »
Thanks, Pat!  It's been awhile since I've posted anything, but I've been checking in a lot and liking what I see...a lot of great bows being made and posted here!  I've been working a lot on my DIY backpacking gear and doing a fair amount of winter camping in the meantime.  As such, I haven't gotten a lot of work done on bows the last several months. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 06:25:31 pm »
Show off your DIY backpacking stuff too .I'd like to see what you're doing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 07:25:21 pm »
Thanks 4est. This is gonna be great!   8)

+ 1, I always love your posts, been a fan since your red oak build on tradgang,  :).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 10:24:09 pm »
Man, oh man, toomany... I should go back and redo that buildalong.  :-\ 

Offline bubby

Re: Brush Nocks - A Tutorial
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 11:55:16 pm »
All right, your tutorials are always an easy read, already got it pinned to favorites, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 12:43:29 am »
coooooooooooooooooooooool.   can't wait to see the rest.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline steve b.

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 05:13:23 am »
I want to see the backpacking stuff...... :'(

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 06:25:11 am »
Very nice demo and easy to understand with the pictures.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 08:34:42 am »
I've always admired your work. Thank you for doing this.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 08:35:42 am »
Show off your DIY backpacking stuff too .I'd like to see what you're doing.

Yup, Id like to see it as well
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 11:10:14 am »
I remember seeing your brush nocks for the first time years ago  you are the master I have a grumley and his don't compare to yours.im enjoying this.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 11:11:27 am »
I posted some backpacking gear over on the Campfire.