Author Topic: BL mollegabet build along bow  (Read 6471 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
BL mollegabet build along bow
« on: March 05, 2014, 07:25:55 pm »
The buildalong: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44858.0.html

First leather handle I've done. It's far from perfect, but I think it's pretty. I wanted to leave the back exposed and I think it looks good as such. My bird contributed with his mess. Gold/blue macaw aptly named grumpy was happy to see the clutter at the bottom of his cage go, and I think it compliments the bow nicely. Mink arrow pass to keep her quiet.

some grain

The string is lined up as perfectly and that snake in the lever didn't even need any heat bending! The levers came out nice and sharp, so now if the bear doesn't go down the archer still has a spear! I mean look at those points!

The blended nocks came out nicely, the string looks and feels secure, and the wood is so pretty.

The deflex just out of the handle came back in the top limb. I don't know if I'd call that set of failed heat bending, so I split the difference and this bow has one and a quarter inches of set for an eighth inch of string follow if you account for the hump in the limb.

The deflex is most pronounced in the full draw, but I assure you there are no chrysals and this thing shoots like a dream. No hand shock and deadly fast, if she were shorter I'd call her the perfect hunter but she's sixty eight inches tip to tip, and all that beauty might be unwieldy in the brush.

Now I need your opinion on something a little serious :o

I've come to an agreement with the guys at archers review to have a mollegabet reviewed. They understand that all of my bows have their own unique character and they're never going to get the same bow again. They understand that they should review a mollegabet as a design many bowyers can and do make, though I will have made the one they're going to review. They'll pay the shipping and keep the bow, I'll have my bow on their site.

Do you think this one is good enough?
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: BL mollegabet build along bow
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:33:07 pm »
thats one sweet molle

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 08:15:18 pm »
Very nice, I especially like the wiggle in the top lever of the bow. I'm a fan of black locust and always enjoy seeing bows from this wood, nicely done huisme.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:59:14 pm »
SWEET!! Love it! Nice work Huisme.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 10:11:11 pm »
Nicely done man.  Looks great.  I dig the character in the top limb.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 07:45:59 am »
Good effort and still should be a decent shooter...

Since ya asked for an opinion; here ya go...you get mine :)
I'm not too keen on the way you do your nocks...odds are better than 50/50 that eventually you will have a bow where the string will delam at one of those growth rings...its like having a violation in the back of your bow....if you want to make tips n grooves like that use a quarter sawn piece of wood for a tip overlay(good horns best tho)...that way you can also narrow em down even a hair more than what yours are there...

And secondly...you can reduce an 1/8" easy off the depth of where the levers start for the first ~6" or so...n when adding that up it becomes a good chunk of dead weight out there...

So that being said...if it was me I wouldn't send that to someone or place that is going to highly criticize it....get a chrono and start seeing where your bows add up,and know wthe weight per pound of arrows your shooting,and you'll be able to know beforehand before you send a bow to be highly criticized...plus I wouldn't want that to be the one that blows those nocks off when there testing it...that would be embarrassing ...some may last indefinitely, but eventually odds are ones going to let loose

Good effort ,but you can do better ;) ....hope you can take that well ;) just trying to help you be better is all ;)

Offline huisme

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 09:38:42 am »
Thank you Bowman, BB, Dave, and Matt :)

And thank you blackhawk,

I'm just wondering if you know that those nocks are done with extra rings on the back of the bow so the back is not violated. I've done several bows this way, including my main shooter, and they're all holding up perfectly- but I'm open to the idea that I might need to redo them if you think it's a problem.

I see what you mean about the levers. As soon as I got rid of the hand shock I stopped fiddling with it, so especially the top lever is probably only reduced far enough to be comfortable. I think you're right, but I'll just leave this bow alone for now and make another ;D
50#@26"

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 10:56:06 am »
Nice work.  The character in the lever is very cool.  8)

I agree with everything Blackhawk said.  It is flattering to get a request to have your bow tested by a review group, but keep in mind, the attributes by which your bow will be judged are speed, velocity of arrow, and how fast it shoots ;)   So like blackhawk said shoot some arrows through a chronograph and see where you are at.  Just remember you will be representing the molle design and wood bows in general. 

Keep up the nice work.   :)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline huisme

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 03:35:48 pm »
Just remember you will be representing the molle design and wood bows in general. 

Exactly why I came to you guys ;)
50#@26"

Offline huisme

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 10:03:05 pm »
Little update.

The guys saw the reddit post of this bow and loved it. They say the more character the better, and they love that upper lever. I'm going to grind my teeth while I do it, but I think it's worth violating the finish to make the bow they like the one they get for review.
50#@26"