Author Topic: Deflex-reflex versus deflex-recurve  (Read 19791 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PatM

Re: Deflex-reflex versus deflex-recurve
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 11:33:48 am »
Now guys are just making up definitions of their own it seems....

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 11:48:51 am »
How so?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 11:55:20 am »
The terms 'reflex' and 'recurve' are pretty intimately related. Recurve is just a more extreme form of reflex. You can have a static recurve which does not work (or bend) at full draw, and a working recurve which does. You generally need a static recurve to be more sharply curved to prevent it from bending. Not always, but generally. Also, the recurved tips are at the distal end of the limb. Reflex can be induced throughout the length of the entire limb.

Reflex is defined as any bend towards the back, or away from the belly. Deflex is any bend or curvature towards the belly or away from the back of the bow.

Reflex or recurve does NOT have to be induced with heat! It can, but not always. I just finished a static recurve laminate bow to prove that. Reflex or recurve can be induced during glue up. Perry reflex I believe it's called.

In my understanding of the terms, a longbow is a longbow only because the string only touches the bow at the nocks. What happens between those points is open to interpretation, and various shapes will store more or less energy.
A recurve is a recurve because the string lays on, or touches, the tip before in reaches the nock.

Many permeations exist. Reflexed static recurves, static recurves, working recurves, reflex/deflex static recurves, reflexed working recurves, reflexed longbows, reflex/deflex longbows... I'm sure I've missed a few. Just remember, the more reflex or recurve the limb has, the more energy it will store, all else being equal. Recurves and reflex also reduce full draw string angle and make the bow smoother and more pleasant to shoot.

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 11:59:34 am »
Here's a reflexed static recurve. Stores an enormous amount of energy. It would be faster than a static rcurve, working recurve, or reflexed bow... all else being equal.

Offline adb

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 12:03:47 pm »
Is this a recurve, or a longbow? The tip is definitely reflexed, but by the strictest definition, I would call it a longbow. The string is only touching the bow at the nock. 

I call it a 'recurve' but really, it's not.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:10:39 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 12:15:01 pm »
Reflexed limbs. Longbow, or recurve?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 12:48:13 pm »
For me personally, its all about what I want to see in my hand. Just so happens I think static recurves are gorgeous bows, so I make them. As far as performance, not sure Ive ever noticed a difference. In my mind, low set tillering is where that comes from. No matter the design.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 12:58:41 pm »
Reflex = the whole limb  (working)
Recurve = just the tips (working or not )

what if the levers on a molle are reflexed and not recurved in to hooks?

blackhawk

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 01:05:17 pm »
How about make a few of each,and make up your own opinion,preference,and bias...because that's the only kind of answers you'll get here.....I like and make both,and will hunt with either one...I do make more in a R/D shape tho,as they're easier n less fussy to make,and still draw smooth,shoot well,and perform good for me...BUT my answers just an opinion just like everyone elses answer here ;)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 01:05:39 pm »
Here's a reflexed static recurve. Stores an enormous amount of energy. It would be faster than a static rcurve, working recurve, or reflexed bow... all else being equal.
I'd call that beaut' a bow with backset limbs and static recurves... or maybe... ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 01:10:45 pm »

I call that a molly curve ;) look em up...I've made a few here n there ;)

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 02:02:06 pm »
How so?
Most Archery publications or books reached a consensus on terminology but people now just call bows as they see them personally.
 I'm not sure why it has to be TOO complicated, particularly in bow styles where they are very definitely of a type.
  It is also easy enough to list all the attributes a bow has working from the handle out.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 02:11:30 pm »

I call that a molly curve ;) look em up...I've made a few here n there ;)

thats what i was thinking about.

Offline bubby

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 02:35:51 pm »
my version of a Blackhawk molly curve with hooks
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹