Author Topic: Yew in the works[Pictures added]  (Read 16247 times)

blackhawk

Re: Yew in the works
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 01:15:57 pm »
Wish I had the skills to help ya out  ::)  a R/D yew selfbow sure would be a smooooooth sweet shooting rig...send that sucker my way when your done with it  >:D  ;D ...Pleeeeeeeease!!! With a sugar on top!!!!!  8)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 05:24:48 am »
I got it out to 50@22 yesterday evening, still holding 1 1/2 inches passed the tips and the brace tiller is even top and bottom all the way along the limbs. both top and bottom limb are 1/4 off the wood at flat before thenocks.I will get some pictures by the weekend,just taking it slow for now, everything seems to be looking good and all is even for now.also got new computer and really having trouble getting around.
Pictures may be a problem also haven't try doing that yet.I hate change. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 08:58:55 am »
Looking forward to seeing this one Pappy...I'm in your corner and pullin for ya...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Jesse

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2014, 07:52:18 pm »
Im sure you will do it justice Pappy. I like to have the reflexed part almost straighten out at full draw. Any more and they look nice but tend to loose performance and take set in that area.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 05:24:13 am »
Thanks Jesse,good to hear from you.  ;) I got it out to 50@ 23 1/2 yesterday.Still I think looking good. Ran into a little problem,as I said to start the stave was in really bad shape with side checks and checks all through it,it hasn't seemed to cause any problems but yesterday while doing some light scrapping and sanding I got the sand papper under one on the side that runs to the belly,at least it's not to the back. ;D I stopped and glued it up and now am trying to decide weather to carry on a bit or wrap it now. :-\ If I can move on another inch or so I will not need anything off that spot anymore,I really don't want to wrap and then un wrap to scrape and so on. I think I will try and get ot about 25 and then wrap,at least that's my plan for now. Hope to have some pictures Monday.Still feels very snappy,lots of early draw weight and very little set so far. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Roy

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 10:46:37 am »
Anyone live close to Pappy that could stop by and show him how to use his new computer for loading and posting pictures? :)

Offline Will H

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 11:11:38 am »
Well I live right down the road but his computer he uses it at work. He's pretty savy though, I think he'll get it figured out  ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Will H

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 07:41:16 pm »
I got a chance to take a pic if pappy shootin her in this afternoon. He's got her back to 24" or so right here.

I gotta say, that thing sure zips an arrow!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 08:37:27 pm »
Looks like it is bending nice to me - only a few more inches to go!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 11:55:49 pm »
I think Roy hit right on the head, the areas that he had circled need to bend more.  It's a little difficult to get that bending and be careful it will go all at once.

Mark

Offline ohma2

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2014, 11:02:13 am »
know what about new computer im going through the same thing windows 8 is a nightmare to me.i think that's the first yew R & D selfbow ive seen no dought you will work it out cant wait to see finished .

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2014, 05:43:08 am »
Got it shooting out to 25,just a little more,it is 52@25 so I may take just a few more scrapes, man it seems fast and really smooth to draw,not really into mass princeable but weighted it anyway and it's at 19 ounces.got trouble down loading pictures this morning ,I hooked my camera up this morning and it said I had over 7000 pictures on it,got to figure out whats up. Pictures soon ,I hope. ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2014, 07:15:18 am »
I have a Yew flat bow I'm finishing up right now that a R/D profile .

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2014, 07:48:20 am »
Looking good, Pappy.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline ajooter

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2014, 08:11:47 am »
Looking good so far!  Hoping to try one of these someday.