Author Topic: Yew in the works[Pictures added]  (Read 16248 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Yew in the works[Pictures added]
« on: March 03, 2014, 06:50:04 am »
I have been working on a yew bow,reflex/deflex and need some one to look and see what yall thing,never tillered many of these and having trouble knowing what to do next. Looks good to me but just want some eyes on it that have done some.
1st picture is un braced,2nd is braced,3rd is out to 8 inches or so,at full brace and the last is 44@18 inches. What you thing,it is a little over 13/8 inch wide to about  mid limb,the tapered to the tips, I used everything I could but it was a really rough stave with lots of side checks to deal with,nothing taken off the back but the bark and sanded,the ratio in sap and heart looked very good to me,of course I ant a yew guy. ;) Help and criticism welcome.  ;) :) Shooting for 50@ 26 it has lots of reflex left and unbelievable early draw weight. Easy to be tricked. The reflex
tips are about 2 inches behind the handle and started with about 3 or so.That was right after un stringing after working it to 18 in. a bunch. :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:49:08 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Yew in the works
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 07:46:01 am »
Not done myself either, so I can't offer any real advice!
But she looks good to me :), I shall watch with interest.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 07:50:34 am »
Looks nice Pappy.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 09:16:43 am »
Nice looking bow Pappy. How long is it and did you heat it to that shape or did it already have that basic shape? Reason I ask is I have a mulberry stave that that naturally seasoned close to the same shape and was thinking of heating it just enough to match the limbs up closer.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 09:27:11 am »
It's 60 n-n ,it had natural deflex in the handle area,I put the reflex in and flipped up the tips,it was going to be a bend in the handle because of the wood I had to work with but it seems to be enough to not bend unless someone tells me it needs to. It may flex slightly at full draw when I get to there and that is why I glued up the leather strips on the handle area. Come on some of you reflex deflex guys chime in,in my eyes it's looking good,just not sure where to go from here,more mid limb /fads or get the tips and curves moving more. :-\ Like I said it's 44@18 so I have 8 more inches to go. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 09:37:43 am »
I think it's working very hard right in the handle.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 09:54:59 am »
I agree with Adam. Also the left reflex looks like it could open up a little more.
 I have trouble reading tiller with R/D bows so you might want to wait for more experience.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 10:22:19 am »
Sorry Pappy
I have no clue the finished ones all ways look wrong to me . They look this this > to me at full draw
If they dont help you out you might try the old trick of a pencil line on the sides to see how much bend you are actuality getting and just keep it all in perspective
Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 11:18:20 am »
Cool thanks,I will get the mid limb from a few inches from the fads to the reflex moving a bit and the work on the left opening some,their is a big hump/kind of knot in the left reflex so kind of hard for me to tell. Thanks again. :)I know a few I have seen as of late looked at full draw like they were working to much in the fad area ,wasn't sure but didn't think I wanted that. ;)
Pappy 
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 11:26:44 am »
All the leverage from the limbs is concentrated at the fades and with the deflex already there it isn't hard to over do it there. From the few R/Ds I have worked on(and was successful with  ;D ) I started working from the reflex back towards the fades as I tillered.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 11:29:24 am »
  You are in what I call the death zone on these bows. It looks pretty good but where do you go for more bend? Be real careful in that reflexed area about 12 to 14" from the tips. It can be looking good and then kind of break loose and hinge while excersizing. I agree with Adam also, I recomend only advancing 1" at a time with plenty of pulls between each one.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 11:31:32 am »
Thanks Pat, I will try it that way,I just was afraid I would get the reflexed ends opening to fast so I have went very slow on them,but got to thinking it was about time to get them working more and wanted some advice, I have seen some sweet ones on here,no better place to ask advice in my opinion. ;) :) Now I am sucking up ant I. ;) ;D ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 11:38:07 am »
Steve(Badger) knows more about these bows than me.  ;)  They can be very tricky to tiller.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 11:44:08 am »
Thanks Steve,must have been posting while you was. I had heard or read that before so that is why I have been going so slow,I have been working it a lot between scrapping and brace and un brace and even let it set a few times at brace for an hour or so,GaryDavis told me on my last Yew to go really slow and exercise it a lot,guess I got that part just never done a reflex/deflex. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 12:05:36 pm »
  Pappy I am thinking the middle third and slightly into the outer third could bend a bit more. How wide is that bow? I starter going wider so I could leave about the last 12" pretty stiff, makes them easier to tiller.