Author Topic: Short bows and the mythical floating anchor. Tips, tricks and methods.  (Read 9793 times)

Offline IndianGuy

Guys everytime I post a picture of a short bow I get questions about how to anchor. I had a little time this morning and though I would add a post here and give some of the ways I shoot these shorties.
This information is pertaining to Native American short bows often called Plains bows or Horse bows.

I have been making and shooting short bows since 1984 and have found that no matter how long you practice or how many arrows you shoot you can never get a consistant group without some kind of anchor. You can have a floating anchor and shoot accurately but only at very close yardages. I always see people on here and other sites drawing short bows with their arm bent downward at the elbow, neck pushed forward like a strutting Tom and trying to draw the bow to their eye. Now not only is this awkward it messes up your form when trying to shoot a longer bow. That is just not the way these bows are meant to be used.
Learning to shoot a short bow with a short draw is just learning another method of shooting, your long bow techniques won't work well when you use the short bow. Now if you learn the proper techniques you should be able to shoot your short bow and transition to your long one without any hickups in your shooting accuracy.

The Indian draw method is much different than the European and even the finger grip on the string was much different many using a pinch or augmented pinch grip, Very few used the three finger method most of us use today called the Mediterranean grip.
 The Indian method of drawing a short bow was the push and pull method. This allowed the archer to pull a much heavier bow. You push with your bow arm with the bow slightly elevated and pull with the shooting arm to your desired draw. This method allowed both arms to be used in drawing the bow instead of one. The bow was canted slightly to the side and the string drawn to the armpit area or the chest rather than to the cheek.
 The anchor point varied I'm sure depending on each shooter.The elbow of the bow arm always turned outward with a slight bend.
I find that I can place the inside part of my wrist right at the base of my thumb into my chest right under my left armpit to get a consistant anchor with a bow that draws 24-25". With a bow that has a little shorter draw I extend my thumb to touch the same point on my chest.
It's like drawing a long bow and finding your anchor somewhere on your cheek or lower lip. You touch the same spot with every draw.
 Now this method will feel very awkward at first because your line of sight has changed dramatically from looking down the arrow shaft to having the arrow out more in front of your body. If you practice on focusing on your target rather than your arrow your hand to eye coordination will kick in eventually and help you achieve better accuracy.
I can shoot a short bow very consistant out to 25 yards with this method but my groups get a little crazy any further than that.

The short bow was used on foot as well as horseback but I fully believe the Plains people used longer bows when stalking game on foot. This is a debatable subject among many but it only makes sense in my book.
I hope this information wasn't too boaring and might help a few people who are interested in making and shooting the amazing short bows that ruled the Great Plains for so many years.

E

Offline JonW

Good post Eric. I concur.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Excellent post, Eric. With any method, consistency is the key whether you shoot a 150# Welch war bow or a 35" plains type bow even though the shooting styles are totally different. I haven't made a short draw bow in a while but I'll have to and try out the shooting method you suggested. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badly Bent

Thanks for posting this, I'm gonna give it a try on my recently made short osage bow. Eventually it has to become decent enough around here to go outside and shoot again,it's been a mean winter this year. The method you describe
does seem awkward but no doubt it works or it would not have been used, should be fun to try out.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline IndianGuy

Even George Catlin got it right when he observed Indians hunting buffalo.

Offline IndianGuy

You can clearly see the bow in this picture is not being drawn up toward the face but toward the body, even though the archers back is to us.

Offline ohma2

that would make a good video watch if you were of a mind to do so.always wanted to be able to shoot my short bows more consistently.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Excellent post, V interesting to us over this side of the pond where we aren't used to shorties.
Del
(A shortie is on my to-do list, along with loads of others!)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline kleinpm

Thanks for posting this. I really like that you pointed out the two methods are different enough from each other that learning one shouldn't effect the other.

Patrick

Offline smoke

Your posts are always helpful IndianGuy!  Thanks

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Short bows and the mythical floating anchor. Tips, tricks and methods.
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 01:48:19 pm »
Yes Sir!

Thank You for posting this Thread.

I've been building a lot of Short Bows lately.
Look forward to trying this Technique.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline ajooter

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 02:23:09 pm »
This might be asking a lot but would you have the ability to post a video of your draw cycle and anchor?  The short plains bows have always fascinated me.  This is a great post! I need to make a short bow to try this with.  I have the knarliest piece of osage i may mess with.  Thanks again for posting!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 02:53:10 pm »
Really interesting and informative. Thanks.
I have 2 short bows near done now and will sure work on this method when and if they survive.
Marco

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 05:13:47 pm »
Glad to be of some help, sorry I do not have a way of posting a video, if I did that would have been easier than an explanation.  :laugh:
 I was just trying to add a little insight. Thanks for all the replies.
E