Author Topic: Old yew bow ID  (Read 6417 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Old yew bow ID
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 10:48:25 pm »
For $20 I would have thrown my wallet at his head, ran off down the street with the bow in my arms, cackling like a mad hen!

"Precious!  Oh my precious! I loves my precious, I do!" 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 12:08:14 am »
MAN,if i had 100 bucks i would give to you in trade...i will say this i don't know the maker...BUT the wood is very high quality wood..the rings look pretty tight...what a great find...john

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 12:18:39 am »
   A young mas showed up at one of our Pasadena meets with an old yew bow. One of the guys who hangs with us is well into his eighties and thought he recognized the bow. Once he looked it over he discovered he had built that bow himself over 50 years prior. The bow shot as good as the day he made it.

Offline snag

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 12:49:06 am »
Very cool Badger.   It's great to see a well built selfbow does last. 
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 05:38:12 am »
   A young mas showed up at one of our Pasadena meets with an old yew bow. One of the guys who hangs with us is well into his eighties and thought he recognized the bow. Once he looked it over he discovered he had built that bow himself over 50 years prior. The bow shot as good as the day he made it.

Brilliant story.

Offline bloodstone

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 01:34:21 pm »
Hey all, I'm the owner of the yew bow. I made an account. I'm more than willing to get some measurements on it for everybody. I may eventually try to string it again. Last time I tried the string slipped off the nocks. They seem well warn so I may need to deepen them. I've been reluctant to do anything to it, it is really nice
"If I can't afford to buy it, and its conceivable that I can make it myself, then I will learn the art of what ever craft I must so that I can have it."

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 02:27:03 pm »
Take it SLOW

Who knows how long it's been since it's been strung or shot.

Put on a long string and work it in a bit. Any sign of trouble, call it quits.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PatM

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 06:09:13 pm »
I wouldn't mess with the nocks. The bow could have pretty steep value if you can id the maker.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 07:18:51 pm »

This defines the concept of passing along the tradition! 

Hey all, I'm the owner of the yew bow. I made an account. I'm more than willing to get some measurements on it for everybody. I may eventually try to string it again. Last time I tried the string slipped off the nocks. They seem well warn so I may need to deepen them. I've been reluctant to do anything to it, it is really nice

Congratulations on the excellent find!  You are the Indiana Jones of archery!

Offline bloodstone

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 10:46:21 pm »
The bow is 67 in long. 1.25 inches at mid limb. The fade goes 5 in from the center of the handle. The handle is 2 in deep. Are there any other measurements anybody wants
"If I can't afford to buy it, and its conceivable that I can make it myself, then I will learn the art of what ever craft I must so that I can have it."

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 11:05:52 pm »
The bow is 67 in long. 1.25 inches at mid limb. The fade goes 5 in from the center of the handle. The handle is 2 in deep. Are there any other measurements anybody wants

Careful folks, this is a family oriented site!!! 

Offline Wiley

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 01:29:15 am »
Even with the risk that comes with shooting an old bow, if it were mine I would definitely want to provided everything about it seemed sound. I like to think that whoever made it would have liked to see it still shooting after all these years. I would consider sending it to an experienced bowyer to examine it closely before shooting it, i'm sure there are those on here that would volunteer for that task, you may even find someone that is fairly local.

I can imagine finding such a thing and shooting it even just a few times would feel like I did when I had the chance to fire a 102 year old 1911. Even a WWI war relic deserves it's moment in the sun every decade or so. I would feel similar if I found an old yew bow that was in good working order.

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 01:49:21 am »
Plus who doesn't want to see a sinewed longbow shoot?  >:D