Author Topic: CO Elk Osage Bow Build Along  (Read 30464 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: CO Elk Osage Bow Build Along
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 04:14:50 pm »
 That crack that's running out bugs me... How thick are your limbs now?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Josh B

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 04:37:15 pm »
The run out crack is definitely a concern.  I've made em with similar cracks.  Some held, some didn't.  If it were me, I would lightly WARM the wood and apply as much thin superglue as it will soak up.  I stress warm, because if you get it hot it will expand the crack.  Glue it now, and keep glueing it as you expose the crack more.  Warming it up will help the glue penetrate, but it probably won't completely fill the crack.  Its looking pretty nice so far!  Josh

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 05:11:35 pm »
I have been using Loc Tite super glue for similar cracks. Tap the side of your bow blank with something light(file handle, socket wrench, screwdriver) as you add the glue to help the air bubbles come to the surface. Keep adding glue until you have a puddle of glue on the surface, you are going to need a lot of glue.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 05:50:14 pm »
Looking good PA hunter.
 I just finished one that looks just like that with the wind checks in it. Unbacked and it is shooting great. And it really looks cool with the long checks in it.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 09:49:11 pm »
@donald: Ya me to.  I’ll guess mid limb is 10/16ths. 
@GunDoc: thanks man I’ll definitely warm and glue it up.  I concerned because I need to heat treat it on the form to put in reflex first.  Otherwise the superglue will burn my eyes out.  I guess the risk of making the cracks bigger is one I have to take.  :-\
@Eric: tap, tap, tap it in!  Great tip, will do!
@Bob: Hey buddy, good to hear!  Lookin cool is always a bonus! ;)
thanks guys!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 06:44:08 am »
Been watching,hope the cracks work out,filled with glue and no run off they should be fine. 2 inches at the fads to mid limb/64 n-n it will be a thin baby
to get it down to 60@28. if it is good dence Osage as it apperes to be,Good luck and looking forward to seeing the outcome. I'm with Steve on bending at the fads,that is usuall the last place I get working and not working to much. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 03:50:03 pm »
Thanks Pappy, I'll give it a go!

Budiling my first bow form
I want to kick myself for not doing this two years ago.  it's so easy!  I got a 2x4 and 2x6 at 66''.  On the 2x4 I marked a center line and a mark every 5.5 inches marking 12 equal sections.  ON the ends I marked 6 marks in 1/2'' increments form the top (the pic has 12 but I only used every other one).  Then I placed a ruler from the center mark at the top to the first of 6 marks on the end and drew a line from the center mark to the first 1/12 line toward that end.  Then I put the ruler from where that line ends (5.5 inches from the center line) and moved the other end down one mark on the end.  This creates a curve that increases toward the ends.  I continue this until I reach the end of the board.  Gary Davis describes this technique in his video better than I am.  It's quite fast easy.  I used a circular saw to rough it out and then a farriers rasp to nicely finish and round it off.  Probably took 30 minutes total!

Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 03:57:09 pm »
Heatin it up
I decided to heat treat this bow even with the risk of the cracks.  If it does bust it will still be a good learning experience for the next one.  The form is setup to provide up to 3'' of reflex.  I clamped the bow down onto the form and coated it with some olive oil.  I used a heat gun over the back and side of 6'' sections until it was very hot to touch. 

Once done I added super glue liberally to the many cracks as i tapped the bow with a tool.  I'll continue to add glue to the cracks as needed throughout tillering.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:04:10 pm by PAHunter »
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 10:22:43 pm »
Lookin good buddy...Looks like I need to get started on mine.Can't let you be the only guy wonderin" around them CO. mountains with a new bow..lol
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 01:24:59 am »
@Bill: For sure brother!  You can always use the osage stave you left with me last year after the classic.   ;)  You know those elk can't resist a shiny new yellow bow!   :o
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 01:45:36 am »
It was about a month ago that I decided to set my compound on the shelf and dedicate to my dream of big game hunting with my self bows.  And when I started practicing I was horrible, really horrible.  But I've practiced consistantly and smartly since and tonight I had a great day at the range!  I've seen signifigant improvement at the range and I'm quickly approaching my traditional shooting friends scores!  I'm loving the confidence that's coming wiht it!  I can't wait to hopefully have that elk step out within 30 and do what I know how to do...

Below is a pic of my daughter helping me at the range.  She is my angel and hopefully future hunting partner.  The heated bow cooled and I took it off the form and reduced it down signifigantly to allow for a few inches of bend.  There is currently about 1 and 3/4 inch of reflex.  The best news is the crack that ran off the side seems to have gone away.  I have renewed hope for this bow!!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2014, 02:12:28 am »
Tillering for Speed

My primary goal with this bow is to learn how to build faster bows.  I've read your comments on this post and have searched the PA site for all speed/efficiency related posts that I could find.  It seems that the bow taking set is the enemy of speed.  The bow bending mid limb will maximize speed up to the point where it takes set because not enough limb is working.  Below are some tips I picked out that may help me achieve quicker bows. 

• Don't rush bracing the bow. 
   • Don't leave drawn for longer than necessary while tillering (I think using the tiller tree more than the tiller stick may help with this)
   • Measure set: After wood is removed  measure the DW at the current DL.  Drawl several times to an additional inch and re-measure the set at the original DL to see if any poundage was lost.  I'm not sure how accurate my hand scale is but I'm going to try to do this once the bow is bending 14 inches or so.
   • Have the most bend in mid limb
   • Keep outer 7 or 8'' stiff

Please let me know if you have any corrections or tips to make this bow as efficient as possible.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:07:52 am by PAHunter »
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 12:40:42 pm »
Good news on that crack going away, the reflex looks good and so does your thickness taper. Looks like your tracking a good bow. Cute kiddo too, you got a bow for her yet?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 01:23:36 pm »
Sounds good BB!  Of course Ava has a bow.  ;)  It's that kids bear bow but I made primitive arrows with spounges glued to the front for her.  She's making daddy proud!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2014, 06:36:46 pm »
tillering on

I progressed from the drawl knife to my farriers rasp to get the bow into the approximate dimensions I want.  Then I moved to a shave to smooth it out and continue more causiously.  On the tiller tree I am bending it about 11 inches from the starting position now which puts it at a little over 40# there.  So far no reflex has been lost.  My current game plan is to continue doing this until I get several inches past brace height and the tiller it looks good before bracing. 

How does the tiller look so far?  Ultimately I'd like to see the most bend in mid limb to maximize speed. 

Now I'm off to pick up my little hunter from preschool!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA