Author Topic: CO Elk Osage Bow Build Along  (Read 30465 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Re: CO Elk Osage Bow Build Along
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 10:04:17 am »
U could always out hooks on her ;0)

Nice stave, wish u well on ur build and hunt.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 11:42:24 am »
That's from chickenhawk haint it? Ive made enough bows from that old stock to recognize its gold color. Great stuff. I think its from 94 or 96 maybe?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 01:40:29 pm »
Pearly, was that a good year? Can ya tell by smelling it ;D

Ur the wine guy of osage
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 12:26:16 am »
@JW: Thanks again man.  You had me scared for a minute there.  Glad to her the stave has potential.
@DGF: me too!  ;)
@Gsu: thanks man, I try to obsess about the first big game kill too much.  I’m just enjoying the weapon making and hunting process.  When it all comes together for a kill I’m sure it will blow my mind. 
@Pearl: thanks for the advice man.  Your bows are sick btw.  I’m looking forward to seeing the next one.  Ya when I get going I crank em out fast but not this one.  I plan on taking my time and learning all I can.  If I get impatient I’ll just beat up some of the hickory staves I have laying around for kicks.  Nice call on the wood, I got it from Chris at the classic last year!
@rps: You said it brother.  Nothing compares to the experience.  You can’t really fully explain it to someone who has not done it yet.
@SLIM: welcome to my journey.
@Bent: that’s good to hear for sure!  If any legal elk gets in my range arrows will be flying!  Antlers are just icing on the cake.  I’d rather have back straps on my grill.  ;)
@Matt: I’ll keep ya posted bro.
@Fred: thanks!  Good luck to you as well.
@Blaf: Smells like back straps on my grill to me!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 01:05:17 am »
  PA, I didn't see where you said how far you are drawing the bow. At 28" draw and 60# you shouldn't have any problem hiting at 180 mark. 170 will get you 200 yards. I think if you look at some of the builds over at twin oaks and the methods they use you will have no problem hitting your goal. If you don't have a cawl I would also advise taking the one day it takes to make a good one that will last you for years. If you don't have the plans for one I can make you some plans to follow.

Just my two cents here because you said you were going for performance. Most the guys here now are using a style that I agree with 100%, the only thing I might disagree on is using the entire limb all the way to the fades bending equally. I think limbs that bend in an equal arc are shocky. I like my limbs just barely beding out of the fades and then increasing the bend to about mid limb where I start to stiffen it back up again gradually. I leave about the last 8" stiff. I don't go scary thin on my tips anymore. 3/8 tips with a narrow outer limb is still sturdy and durable and fast. One of the most importan things is keeping track of how much weight you are loosing by bending th ebow instead of remving wood. Before any excersize session on the tiller tree found out what the weight is at a very short draw like 14 or 15 " and then as you increase the dra wlength double check to make sure that weight didn't change. If it start to drop and you still have several inches to go you can always go up closer to the fades and get them working a bit more. For a 60# bow I would start off about 1/1/2" wide at the fades and go about 64" to 66" long. If you can finish with about 1" reflex your bow will likley be hitting well over 180 with a 500 grain arrow.

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 05:46:27 pm »
Went to grandpas farm yesterday to check the trail cams and found this.  I'm not the only predator in the woods.   >:D  So far we have 5 black bears, 5 or 6 bob cats, and some coyote.  I love living in PA!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 06:02:41 pm »
The Layout

After carefully examining the 73'' stave I decided to use the side that enabled me to keep the biggest apparent knot in the handle/fade area and off the limb.  I went with 64'' tip to tip both to help with the knot placement and because I like the idea of a slightly shorter hunting bow.  I went 1 and 1/2'' at the fades as many suggested and kept that width for 15'' for now as I can always fade it in more later.  Please let me know if that is less than desirable for speed. 

I made a mark 7 and 1/2 inches in from the tips to mark where I want the working limb to end.  I used my typical handle demensions.  Next I'll sharpen the draw knife and rough this bad boy out.  Also I'll be making my first bow form (cawl) when I can get to the hardware store.  More on that soon!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 06:59:11 pm »
Looking good.  Watching with interest!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 09:28:18 pm »
I think it was a good idea making the bow a little shorter. Even my 60 inch bow was a touch long in some of the thicker blowdown areas I hunt.

Patrick

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 10:38:28 pm »
Thanks Arrowind!
Hi Patrick, I agree but I want a stiff handle so I'm thinking I need more working limb.  This will be my shortest handle bow to date.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 10:47:26 pm »
No easy buckets
Forget the gym, just work down a stave without power tools!!  Garage door open and a pile of snow right next to me and I'm dripping sweat.  Loved every minute of it though!

Roughed a bowish looking shape out but I discovered some scary cracks on the bottom!   :o  They appear to go several layers deep but I'm not sure quite how far.  I'll work the bow down more and see what were left with. 

My question is: if the cracks are deep enough that thye don't completely go away, is there hope for the bow or do I have firewood?

Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 12:34:58 am »
  If they don't run off you should be ok, is it just the radial grain splitting or are the rings delaminating? I don't often run into splits like that inside a stave except in yew.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 07:53:59 am »
Those look familiar to! Most of mine all came out as I tillered. Like Steve said, if they stay within the bow I wouldn't worry.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 10:04:27 am »
I fill all cracks no matter where they are at, they cease to be a problem after a liberal dose of super glue.

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 03:01:40 pm »
Pushing On
I reduced the stave to 722 grams or about 130ish from finished weight.  The limbs are bending about 2 inches.  One limb has cracks throught the limb that probably cut through 3 of the 6 growth rings.  However they are all well contained inside the limb.  The other limb has one crack that does run off but it is comparitively quite small maybe 1 or 2 growth rings.  So I'm crossin my fingers and pushing forward!

I'm heading to Lowes shortly to get a 2x6 adn 2x4 to make a form out of.  I'm basically going to follow the advice on Gary Davis's video.I plan on rounding the 2x4 into the shape I want and nailing it to the 2x6.  Maybe set to give a 66'' bow 3'' of bend.

At what point do I super glue the cracks, now?
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA